Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making lined curtains but fabric is stretching

Posted by julescap (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 13:25

I am really excited about the awesome curtain panels I am sewing out of painters drop clothes. They are looking like the Belgian Linen curtains in Restoration Hardware for a fraction of the price!. I have to line them(my first time lining anything)but the top fabric is looser weave and is stretching big time. I pulled out my walking foot and after getting reacquainted with it, I ripped out and started again. The walking foot alleviates about 90% of the problem,but layers are still feeding a little unevenly . Any suggestions to get that last 10%?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making lined curtains but fabric is stretching

You do realize that painters cloth will more than likely shrink and wrinkle badly if and when you wash it ,don't you??
Since you're already using your roller foot,i don't know what else will solve the problem,but if you have an even feed foot,similar to roller,try that.
kathi

o

Thanks for that tip about the shrinking and wrinkling. I have already washed and dried the canvas and the linings. They actually came out much better easier to deal with than I was anticipating. I didn't dry 100% in the dryer,just put it on the "less dry" setting. I don't have a roller foot. but I'm dealing with it with my walking foot which I think may be the same thing as the even feed foot

o

If I'm dealing with a very stretchy fabric, I will sometimes do a multiple stitch zig zag over just the fabric itself first to help stabilize it, and then stitch it to the other fabric.

o

@Annie: Do you mean a dble zigzag? What stitch length do you use? Thanks... I may try this this w/e

o

It looks like this

I use whatever I think will give the fabric enough support...start with the default and see how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here