Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julescap_gw

making lined curtains but fabric is stretching

julescap
10 years ago

I am really excited about the awesome curtain panels I am sewing out of painters drop clothes. They are looking like the Belgian Linen curtains in Restoration Hardware for a fraction of the price!. I have to line them(my first time lining anything)but the top fabric is looser weave and is stretching big time. I pulled out my walking foot and after getting reacquainted with it, I ripped out and started again. The walking foot alleviates about 90% of the problem,but layers are still feeding a little unevenly . Any suggestions to get that last 10%?

Comments (5)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

You do realize that painters cloth will more than likely shrink and wrinkle badly if and when you wash it ,don't you??
    Since you're already using your roller foot,i don't know what else will solve the problem,but if you have an even feed foot,similar to roller,try that.
    kathi

• julescap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that tip about the shrinking and wrinkling. I have already washed and dried the canvas and the linings. They actually came out much better easier to deal with than I was anticipating. I didn't dry 100% in the dryer,just put it on the "less dry" setting. I don't have a roller foot. but I'm dealing with it with my walking foot which I think may be the same thing as the even feed foot

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If I'm dealing with a very stretchy fabric, I will sometimes do a multiple stitch zig zag over just the fabric itself first to help stabilize it, and then stitch it to the other fabric.

• julescap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Annie: Do you mean a dble zigzag? What stitch length do you use? Thanks... I may try this this w/e

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It looks like this

I use whatever I think will give the fabric enough support...start with the default and see how it goes.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax