Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need lots of fabric - cheap!

Posted by danaoh (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 13:02

I will be doing an indoor craft show, and want to seperate my booth from others. I have an old 8X8 canopy, would like to use it without the top. Was thinking of sheers from the thrift store, if I could find enough in the same color to cover the 3 walls. What else could I use? It doesn't have to be fabric, just easy for me to carry and attach to the poles of the frame. and CHEAP! Figured you all would know how to get the most fabric for your buck - table cloths? Sheets? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need lots of fabric - cheap!

I am just getting into rag rugs and I use bed sheets. I get them mostly at thrift stores and garage sales. Maybe curtains from thrift store would work also?. If you need something better see if you have one of those warehouse fabrics stores near you. Sometimes cheaper, but not always.
You would be surprised at what nice stuff you can find at thrift stores sometimes.

o

Even if you can't get enough sheets in one color you could dye them. My kids have been playing with RIT dye and it's been seriously improved--working much better with more brilliant colors than in the past. I'm going to be buying a couple of bolts of muslin and start dying my own quilt backings after seeing the results they've been getting.

Annie

o

shower curtains from the dollar store

o

mosquito netting, muslin is cheap (it used to be, anyway) or cheese cloth? Sheeting fabric is really wide and probably cheaper than made-up sheets. Find local discount fabric places -- the major chains have great coupons which will help a lot. What about cheap tarp or plastic sheeting from the hardware store? Ugly can sometimes be a lot of fun!? No?

o

Plastic drop cloth sheeting will be wide, and cheap. Can glue or paint decorations on it and will look new and purposeful. A not so cheap item, I think, would be garden nursery shade or frost protect cloth available in wide widths.

o

The dollar/yard table at Wal-Mart. If you use muslin, you can always try the Rit dye. (Set it with a vinegar/salt water mix.) Another thought would be the $5 sheers at Big Lots.

DonnaR/CA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here