Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyinky

What does 'Finish' mean? HELP!

kathyinky
17 years ago

My instructions are telling me to "FINISH unnotched edge of facing."

What does that mean?

I know what the "unnotched" portion is about.... The only section that is notched is on the top edge and the rest of the facing doesn't have any notches.

But the diagram only shows a small portion of the lower right side edge stitched in what appears to be a zig-zag stitch. Am I supposed to sew a zig-zag stitch all the way around the entire lengths of the three sides without the notches?

Help!

Kathy

Comments (7)

• temom
    17 years ago

On your instruction sheet, there should be a Glossary. It should say something like this:
    FINISH: Stitch 1/4" from raw edge and finish with one of the following: Pink OR Overcast OR Turn in along stitching and stitch close to fold OR Overlock.

Is this what you needed to know?

• kathyinky
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, temom!

Well, now that you mention it, I looked at the Glossary and it says exactly that. NOW my problem is that I have no idea what any of that means.

Oh my!

• kathyinky
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, that helps.

I don't have pinking shears (guess I need to buy some).

What I ended up doing (before I read your post) was to just run zigzag stitches along the edge so that the needle juuuuuust went into the edge and then off the side of it. (Does that make any sense?)

What I got from the Dummy book was that the purpose of "finishing" the edge to to do something in an effort to keep it from fraying. I think what I did will do that.

I don't know if what I did was the right thing to do or not but at the end of the day, I figure that it's only a Halloween costume and that it will serve the purpose. Yes, my son will wear it to DEATH after Halloween playing Daniel Boone in the backyard. If it falls to pieces, okay.

But what I got from your post is going to help me with future projects and so I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I always want to do things the right way and I HATE learning or picking up bad habits, so, thanks eversomuch for explaining all of that to me.

BTW, is what I did called an "overcast stitch?" Did I do it the right way in the end anyway?

Thanks again!!! Your quick response means a lot to me.

• temom
    17 years ago

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I ran out of thread midway along my decorative stitch border. I had to make a Jo-Ann's run.

What you did was the right thing. You should try to keep it on the fabric, though. If it goes off the fabric, I don't know if after a million trips through the washer it will hold up. It isn't an overcast stitch, but does the same thing.
    Pinking Shears, in my opinion, are not vital. Pinking shears help to keep the edges from fraying. The zig zag stitch, I believe, does a better job.

I'm a new sewer, but read a bazillion sewing books this summer. I haven't read the Dummies book, but was thinking of getting it. Do you like it?

So far, my favorite beginner book is Sewing with Confidence, by Nancy Zieman

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

FWIW, you can also just run 2 rows of small straight stitching right next to each other.

Yes - FINISH means doing something to a 'raw'(cut) edge of fabric to stabilise it.

In most sewing books - look under 'Seam Finishes'- there are more than a few....

HTH

• kathyinky
    Original Author
    17 years ago

temom,

The Dummies book is okay but I really don't recommend it. I haven't read any other sewing books to compare it to but my guess is that there have to be better ones than the Dummies book. I'll have to check out "Sewing with Confidence." Thanks for the recommendation!

Carol,

Yes, that does help! Thanks!

Kathy

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County