Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

"quiet book" advice needed

jollyrd
11 years ago

I am very inexperienced with sewing, I am more into knit and crochet. But I still do occasional sewing project. My 17 mos old loves to close and open things, and loves to pull open any zippers or velcro. So I thought about making him a "project" - sort of a "quiet book" - but not really a BOOK. It will be a large piece of fabric (or imagine a small piece of blanket), that will be folded over few times, and it will have lots of closures that he needs to open to unfold the piece completely. As a prize - there will be a jeans pocket sewed in the center with a key on a string inside the pocket. So when he opens all the closures - it will be "congratulations! you get a golden key!"

I already have various notions to use for the project. I have two pieces of fabric that will be the cover - two different colors/patterns, but same type of fabric.

My questions are

- how do I stuff the inside to make sure it is not too flimsy and can stand up to pulling in all directions;

- and how do I put the fabrics together? In what order do I stitch the covers and the fill in?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• jomuir
    11 years ago

Cute idea! For the stuffing, you can use a batting sold in the interfacing rack, it's more stable than quilt batting. Or you can use craft interfacing if you don't want it soft/puffy. They sell Decorbond for one brand. It should be avail in sew-in & fusible. Fusible is easier to work with to me, that way it's one less layer.

As far as order goes, I'm having trouble visualizing the project. I'd recommend you do a mock-up by folding/pinning the material (scrap if you have) and then sew a partial one of scrap. I try to make notes & will write on the material as well when I'm trying something new. That way you remember what looked right when you come back to it if you don't finish it in one sitting (likely w/a 17 mo old!) Don't forget to insert the key & string when you attach the pocket.

OK-I'm starting to see an origami-like blanket, folded up with dif. closures at each fold. Def. do a mock-up, even with paper to mark where the dif. closures need to be, cause I bet they'll end being in odd spots. It may not look right until it's done. HTH & good luck with your project!

• nanny98
    11 years ago

Sounda like a big challenge for anyone and I would be tempted to make a "Book" with pages that have different closures. Zippers..buttons and button holes....snaps.... The key could hang on a chain tucked inside a pocket that is closed in any of those ways, including just tucked into a small veocro'd pociket. Over the many years of my sewing, I have seen printed fabrics that would help you out....check out ebay and esty and of course there are books that explore those ideas. Sounds very cute and good luck with your project.

• nanny98
    11 years ago

Sounda like a big challenge for anyone and I would be tempted to make a "Book" with pages that have different closures. Zippers..buttons and button holes....snaps.... The key could hang on a chain tucked inside a pocket that is closed in any of those ways, including just tucked into a small veocro'd pociket. Over the many years of my sewing, I have seen printed fabrics that would help you out....check out ebay and esty and of course there are books that explore those ideas. Sounds very cute and good luck with your project.

• jollyrd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Yes, I did the mock/trial to see how all the closures would fit together at all stages. It will be a bit bulky - but I like the folding design. I will try to post pictures of the test version.