Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverlyjulietbravo

Sergers, 3 thread or 4?

beverlyjulietbravo
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm not new to sewing and serging but am interested in purchasing a second serger for my daughter and am thinking a 4 thread model would be preferable to a 3 thread. I've had mine, which is a 3 thread, since the 80s and haven't thought much about it, until I started shopping for another. What is the advantage to having 4 threads?

Also, I'm having a problem with not being able to make my seams tight enough with my present serger and am wondering whether that's due to being a chowderhead and not having the tensions adjusted right, or if it's due to an inherent characteristic of the 3 thread sergers. I make my own exercise wear and the seams on the legs of my stretch pants always pull apart so I just go over everything I've done with the serger with the sewing machine to make sure the stitching is tight enough. That's labor intensive so I'd rather avoid that step, either by figuring out what I'm doing wrong, or by buying the 4 thread serger if that's the issue.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (8)

• jazzysteph
    15 years ago

With the 3 thread you will always need to do the cover stitch. You want to look for a machine that does the cover stitch for you. I don't think any of the 4 thread sergers do that, only the 5 threads.

I love my 5 thread....

Steph

• barker_tx
    15 years ago

I would not purchase a 3 thread - at least get the four thread (one can always use only 3 threads, if they wish) .. I wish I had purchased the five thread!

In fact, i wish I had purchased the one that does the stitch that looks like the double row of stitching (overlock?) that you see on the hem of a T-shirt.

Carolyn

• budster
    15 years ago

I would purchase a five thread myself. I have a four thread and it does fine but the stitch you want I've only seen on a five thread........ four thread machines can always be made down to a three thread......so my best advice is look at a five thread, but if you only want to purchase a four thread or three thread , buy a four thread.

• beverlyjulietbravo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, I guess I just haven't been paying attention, now there's a FIVE thread serger.... So, just to make sure I get this right, the serging then is just to finish the edge, you always have to use a regular machine for the seam? I guess I've been lucky over the years that the stuff I've made didn't self-destruct and fall off in public since I've just been using the serger. Talk about being asleep at the wheel, sheesh.

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

Give your DD the 3 thread and buy yourself the 5 thread.Problem solved!! LOL
    Kathi

• beverlyjulietbravo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mary, as I said I'm no newcomer to serging and sewing, I've had this machine over 20 years, and I'm a part time boat canvas fabricator and sail repairer so I'm conversant on commercial and technical sewing machines. I just don't remember - 20 years ago when I bought this thing and took their class on how to use it - anything about needing to also use a sewing machine to secure the seam. I have quite a few books, and I've used this machine regularly over the years - mostly for finishing edges and making rolled hems and things, so it's not that I'm unfamiliar with its operation, just a misunderstanding about its fundamental purpose I guess. My stretch pants will get an extra going over with the sewing machine from now on, I don't want to end up walking around naked!

P.S. - I bought a four thread Huskylock from an ebay auction this weekend, it's probably a train wreck as most ebay machines are......but if I can get it functional I'm keeping it and giving the DD the 3 thread! Thanks for suggestion Kathi!

• keepeminstitches
    15 years ago

Hi, Beverlyjulietbravo,

I didn't mean to offend or disrespect your experience as a sewist. Just offering my humble opinions. I have not had to go over the seams with a sewing machine with a 4-thread overlock stitch. I can see where that's necessary with a 2- or 3-thread overlock, tho. I've only used them to finish the seam edges before constructing. I use the 2-thread overlock on seams where the fabric is lightweight and might press through. I hope your new machine is a good one! Always fun to get a new toy!
    Mary

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz