Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
damascusannie

Tote bag--pictures

damascusannie
15 years ago

I made this bag for a "Think Pink" exchange at the Treadle On sewing machine collector's forum. It was entirely made on a treadle sewing machine, including the free-motion quilting.

Annie

Comments (9)

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

WOW,that's very pretty.Does it have pockets inside?? Love your free motion,havn't mastered that yet.
    Kathi

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It does have one pocket. I'm already planning one for myself with some modifications. I have a pretty cool idea for adding an outside pocket. BTW--It's McCall's pattern 3136.

Annie

• organic_flutterby
    15 years ago

wow, NICE job!! I'd love to see more of your work.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• lamalu
    15 years ago

Annie - do you have any tips for using treadle machines? I have my grandmother's treadle and I've had it refurbished to working condition but have never really gotten into sewing with it.
    The tote is awesome!

• grittymitts
    15 years ago

Stunning! You do REALLY nice work. Will be checking back for more pics of your creations.

Suzi

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lamalu--What do you need to know?

The first advice I'd give you is to practice getting your treadling rhythm going before trying to sew. Rip some long scraps of junk fabric and run them through the machine without thread until you can treadle steadily in the right direction.

Most people are most comfortable if they off-set their feet on the pedal. If you are right handed, put your right foot forward a bit. I'm left-handed and I put my left foot forward and only the ball of my right foot on the pedal. It takes a bit of practice.

Oh, and if you are the kind of person that's most comfortable barefoot, then you will probably be most comfortable treadling barefooted, too. I'm shoe person and always wear shoes to treadle.

Annie

• annt59
    15 years ago

Very pretty.
    How did you post the pictures. Please tell me how you did that.

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The easiest way to post pictures is to open a Photobucket account--it's free and really does make the process easy. Once you have the PB account, download the pictures that you want to share into the account. Now, here's how to get them here:

1) Go into the message box and compose your message. When that's done, hit the return key so that you are starting on a new line.
    2) Open another Tab or Window and go into PB.
    3) Find the picture you want to share. If you look at all the information underneath it you will see a line called "HTML Code". Click on it and little box should pop up that says "Copied".
    4) Come back here, go into Edit on your toolbar and click Paste. A whole lot of computer gobbledygook will appear. This IS what you want.
    5) Now hit the "Preview Message" button as you would for any other post. Your message should come up with the actual picture now.
    6) If everything is as you want it, hit Submit and your message will appear with your picture.

BTW--You can insert as many pictures as you wish into a message, but always hit the Return key between pictures so that they are on their own lines. I usually limit it two three, posting a second message if I want to post more pictures than that.

Annie

• annt59
    15 years ago

Thanks Annie. I am going to try to post a picture of my stuffed tree now.
    Ann