Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedeebaker_gw

Looking for chalkboard cloth???

deedeebaker
15 years ago

I just posted on the Crafts forum and thought that maybe I should post here too. Does anyone know where I can get this. I live in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania and I 'm not a person who sews so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.I remember seeing these on a site last year but I don't remember where I saw them. I thought they were great and would like to try and make these for my nephews for Christmas. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• keepeminstitches
    15 years ago

Nancy's Notions has it. Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nancy's Notions

• deedeebaker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Sorry I forgot to mention what I want the cloth for. I saw a picture of a chalkboard mat that you can make for kids and I was wondering if there is a pattern for this. You can roll it up when not in use and it travels well.

• jenni_ca
    15 years ago

I have made over 50 of the chalkmats. I get the chalkboard fabric at Nancys Notions. If you order from there, call them, don't just order it online. Call and order and ask them to send it rolled up. If you order it online it will come folded and you will never get the fold marks out of it!!!!
    The chalkmats are great and the kids love them.
    Here is one I made.

• deedeebaker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! That is really cute. The only problem is I don't know how to make them. Everytime I see them they are already done. I don't know how to sew on a machine but if I could get a pattern of some kind my brother-in-law can sew them for me. thanks for the heads up on the cloth..

• User
    15 years ago

Go to the Dollar Store and buy a placemat to use as a pattern

Cut one from the chalkboard cloth and another from your choice of fabric.

With wrong sides together, attach binding around outside edges.

I use clear polyester thread to attach the little piece of elastic that holds the chalk. I don't recall the measurement I used. Maybe Jenni does.

You can spray the fabric side with Scotchguard to protect it from food and milk spills.

They make wonderful gifts. Everyone thinks they're very clever--and they are!

• keepeminstitches
    15 years ago

The chalkboard mat is so cute! How big is it? Do you put Warm and Natural or similar batting between layers? Would love to make one for my grandson.

Thanks.
    Mary

• jenni_ca
    15 years ago

I make mine 13x16. I use a heat and bond product to adhere the fabric to the chalkboard fabric. If you don't the fabric layer will get all out of shape when you wash it. I think I have made something like 50 of these and never had a problem with them. I do not use any batting between the layers.
    I just think its important for the two layers to be 'stuck together' You just have to make sure you do not touch the iron to the chalkboard side, not even a barely hot iron. It will make marks, not necessarily melt it but definitely ruin it.
    For the little loop for the chalk I use 1/4 elastic.
    They roll up nice and the kids just love them.

• keepeminstitches
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jenni, I'll hafta try making one (add it to the long list of projects planned)!

Mary