Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

Homespun Cafe Curtain Sites, Please?

trudymom
14 years ago

I would like to make a cafe curtain for my bathroom and am needing some sizing help, please. I just want it to look old fashioned--using some homespun fabric. Any favorite sites I should look at for help?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

What kind of help do you need? I've made plenty of curtains. Can I help?

• trudymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oilpainter, I want to make just the lower cafe curtain, homespun fabric. I don't think I want that little ruffly part above, just a seam and put the rod in that. Just need to know what kind of a hem I need for the bottom and top.

Thank you!

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

OK. The top--I assume you are using a standard 5/8 inch cafe rod. To make a rod pocket top--Fold down the top. You will need a 1 inch pocket for the rod and if you want a ruffle on top you will have to allow for that too.

No ruffle--fold the top down 1 1/2 inches turn under 1/2 inch and sew. I find it sews easier if you press and then sew.

A ruffle on top can be any size you want it, from 1/2 inch to 3 inches, but not too much unless you have a fairly stiff material. When you make a ruffle on top, you have to sew 2 seams one on top of the rod casing and one below. EG: Using a 3/4 inch ruffle you would fold the top down 2 1/4 inches and sew. Then measure 3/4 inches from the top and sew another seam. The rod goes in the bottom casing. In my opinion they look better with a small ruffle.

The hem on small curtains should be no less than 2 inches. I like to make mine about 3.

If you decide to make a top--in your words the ruffly part do the same thing. You get the fullness of the ruffle and curtains from the width of your material.

• trudymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oilpainter, thank you for your help. I am not good in describing things--the part I do not want is the ruffle above the rod pocket--so my rod will be at the top of the curtain instead of the ruffle. The part of the curtain that I want to make is for the lower half of the window. I think I will use a tension rod.

So it looks like I will fold the top down 1 1/2 inches turn under 1/2 inch and sew. Then make the hem 3" for the bottom of the curtain. I am trying to make this look primitive.

Does this look right now? Thank you for your patience.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

yes but only if your rod is 5/8 inches around do you use the 1 inch pocket. If your rod is bigger around you will have to make the pocket bigget--the pocket is where you put the rod. So measure the rod around and make the pocket a bit bigger so you have room to get the rod in

• trudymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oilpainter, you are really terrific. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Now I need to order my fabric. I am soooo excited.

Thank you!!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor