Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aiallega

How would I do this...

aiallega
14 years ago

I want to make curtains to go inside glass cabinet doors. It is a hutch in my dining room that I want to use for utility storage. ( We downsized into a much smaller house with very little kitchen cabinet space). The doors are arched at the top--so how would I make and hang a curtain, probably using a sash rod, with the rod at an angle? I hope this makes sense! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! Amy

Comments (7)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I think you are overthinking things. I assume you want to put the rod and curtain inside.

Put your rod straight across above the arch and make your curtain straight.

If you wanted to hang it arched you could use a wire rod but that would get you into a whole new kettle of fish. You would have to figure out how to secure it to the cabinet so it didn't sag and then figure out how to make the curtain.

I think your best bet is hanging it above the arch

• aiallega
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks oilpainter. The problem is that there isn't a way to hang a rod straight across because both the wood of the door and the glass arch upward almost to a point. So, if I put a rod straight across, the peaked area would not be covered. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture-it would make a lot more sense.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

I would use double-sided tape and stick some paper to the glass, but I'm lazy.

Does the top of each door looks like this: ^ (hard to do)

Or is it two doors like this: / \ (easy)

To make the curtains for a slanted rod, measure the distance at both sides of the door.
    Cut the fabric as if you were making a curtain for the larger measurement.
    Make the straight bottom hem/casing, then mark the two distances on the fabric edges.
    With a fabric marker, draw a straight line between the two marks and make the casing along that line.

Insert the rod and hang it, adjust the gathers.

• aiallega
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lazy, Yes it is two door ( I love your visual) Thank you for the great instructions. I'm going to try it. Amy

• birdtalker
    14 years ago

I've use velcro for things such as this. The kind that has an adhesive on the hook part and the loop part is sew-in. Apply the adhesive part to the inside of the door and apply the sew-in section to the fabric and you can make any shape you want.

• aiallega
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bird, that is a great idea. I could velcro the fabric to the inside so that it *appears* to be gathered on a rod. Thanks! Amy

• murphy_zone7
    14 years ago

Luvscritters,
    Velcro is the way to go...I would gather the fabric like I wanted it to look, then stitch the gathers down and then attach the velcro. You might need to use a piece of fabric tape, binding, or something to stitch your gathers down. Having a brain freeze and can't think of what to call that piece. LOL
    Should work beautifully.
    Murphy

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs