Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hsmom_gw

Buying a machine for a young girl

hsmom
16 years ago

Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I am looking for some help deciding on a sewing machine for my 11 year old daughter for Christmas. I have looked through the other posts and could not find a question like mine. Sorry if this is a repeat. Some background:

My daughter has been taking a sewing class for many months. She LOVES it. She has made a number of simple items-- a sewing bag, a skirt, nightshirt and the like. I, myself, DO NOT SEW. Therefore I could be of little help to her in helping her at home. The machines her teacher has are more expensive than I would be able to afford for her at this stage. She will be continuing these classes, so in-shop lessons are not necessarily important for us. I'm looking in the $100-$150 range, with not too many features that might confuse her, but enough that would make this gift something she would get a lot of use out of. Thank you for any help.

Comments (5)

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi, One of the best ways to get just about anything is to tell everyone you know you're looking for it. Many former and non sewers have a working machine sitting in the closet collecting dust. Someone on this forum may have just what you want. Standard machines aren't much different from one another, so any sewer or her teacher can show her how to use it. Machines show up at yard sales, swap meets, thrift stores, etc. Sewing machine dealers usually have lots of older running machines in your price range. Don't be afraid to ask for their 'friendliest' price. Most older machines are far superior to what you can buy new for the same price. Since you don't sew, taking a sewing friend along shopping can be a help. Do you live in southern California? I run across a lot of machines here. Hope that helps. Linda

• djm3
    16 years ago

Janome makes a Hello Kitty sewing machine for Target. I think you can only buy it off the Target website. It has gotten excellent reviews. I'm thinking of getting one for myself as a beginner!!!

• jamesdwaits
    16 years ago

Hancock fabrics has a Janome 3/4 size machine for about $90. I already have several machines but this one fits well in a travel bag and I'm thinking of getting one for myself.
    My advice...don't buy a used machine. You'll be lucky if you get a decent seam after someone else has fiddled with the tension adjustments, or neglected to oil and maintain it properly.

• merry_ann
    16 years ago

I would also vote for a new janome. They make several in that price range, and I have had very good luck with their machines. I would look at the one mentioned above at hancock and also e-bay under janome sewing machines has several online dealers that offer good prices and guarantees. (be sure to figure the shipping price in if you decide to go that route). I am aware that there are two hello kitty machines a 1/2 size and a 3/4 size. I have heard the 3/4 size one is ok but the smaller one is more of a toy. Can her teacher help you pick out a machine?

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Walmart has several good names in your price range. I got my last machine there.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm