Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charscraftycorner

Need advice for purchasing singer featherweight sewing machine

charscraftycorner
16 years ago

I have the opportunity to buy 2 old singer featherweight sewing machines. They are both in a wooden case that says Singer. One is older and more ornate in look and has the knee pedal, light on the back and accessories. The other has a foot feed and is less ornate than the first. it also has accessories. Are these desirable to own/sell? Are they more or less desirable than the ones that are in the little black box? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

Are you sure they are Featherweights? If you have the serial number, you can look them up at Singer's website. The website will tell you what model they are, and the date they were manufactured.

The serial number is on the bed underneath the Singer medallion.

Can you try them out to see how well they sew? Also, can you post a photo? (I have one myself and collect antique sewing machines)

BTW, the original Featherweights came in leather cases, not wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer Serial numbers

• caseys
    16 years ago

Models 221 & 222 are the featherweights. They do not have knee pedals and didn't come in those wooden cases that have "Singer" on them. The cases were usually black, the green ones are rare. Here are some pictures: http://quilting.about.com/od/essentialtoolssupplies/ig/Singer-Featherweight-Gallery/Quiltfest-Featherweight.--o1.htm

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

The one with the wooden case that looks like a casket to me has a knee lever and they're from the 1920-30's , they're not as valuable as featherwights.
    Susan

• budster
    16 years ago

Are they desirable? Well someone will love them! The old black ones are such great work horses as a rule that people who own them don't want to part with them. If you are looking for fancy..than don't bother. If you are looking to resell them and make a profit...don't bother. If you like the look and feel of "old things"...buy them. If you would like to own a machine that will stand the test of time....buy them. It is a something you alone will have to decide. IMHO. Budster

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

Well I have 14 sewing machines - three are relatively new. The rest are old.

I love the old ones. When we have power outtages, I can still sew (either with my hand cranked machines or my treadle). I have one featherweight - it sews a wonderful straight seam and it weighs barely 9 pounds. I take it with me (carry on) when I travel.

budster is right about the old (pre 1950) machines being workhorses. They are simple to maintain - keep them clean and oiled and they'll run for many more years. Also, most of them can sew on heavy fabrics that newer machines just can't handle.

• gramfel
    16 years ago

I love my featherweight 221, but I wondered if I could use a double needle in it. Did not know how or where to post this question. thanks!!

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

gramfel
    I doubt that you would use a double needle in it. But to make sure, see if the double needle will fit into the hole in the needleplate -

• efreeze_charter_net
    13 years ago

helo I am looking for a old feather weight machine black in good shape that sews with no repair on machine at a prce that will not break the bank i want it to use not to resell or collect thanks

• budster
    13 years ago

Evelyn - I suggest trying a couple of things. 1. Garage sales - some people have found featherweights there but you would be smart to try it out before buying. 2. Newspaper for sale ads - it will say something general like "Old Singer for sale"..follow up with a phonecall and ask the model which the seller should be able to tell you. 3. Ask if you can leave your name with places who sell used machines - tell them the model you want and your price range , they can call you if a machine comes in. 4. Tell everyone you know who garage sales or thrift store shops what you want and what you want to pay...more eyes out there the better. These are the steps I would take.