Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner machine recommendation

Posted by cchele (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 07 at 21:18

Hi,
I am a beginner and interested in buying a combo sewing/embroidery machine. I'm looking for something basic that is easy to use. I would like to do monogramming and applique embroidery. I want to be able to use online embroidery downloads. My budget is about $500 but I would like to spend less if possible. Thank you so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner machine recommendation

Try to buy a name brand. Also buy the middle to top range machine. Several years ago I took my machine to have it cleaned and the guy told me to hang on to my machine because it had very little plastic in it. Most makers all use plastic parts now adays. I have a couple friends that have bought lower priced machines and they have all kinds of trouble with them.. Just beware...

o
Multiple Sizes In One Pattern

Do you hate cutting a pattern with multiple sizes in it? I sure do. I have 3 grandaughters that I sew for. I have come up with a solution. I cut the pattern pieces apart that I need. I take the pieces to a copy machine. If it is a longer top or dress. I mark down the sides every few inches with a marker so I can match up when cutting. If there is 3 sizes in the pattern I make 3 copies. I then cut out and mark each size on the pattern. When cutting out I match up the marks to get the length I want. I fold in the side of the bottom to the correct size.. I then place the entire pattern in a ziplock bag.. Works great..

This summer I made sundresses for my grandaughters. It had a simple short botice with ties on the shoulders. I copied all the sizes, made the dress and stored it away. I also keep a sheet of paper in each package and write down what size I made for each girl and when. It makes things so much easier..

I am getting ready to make flannel pj's for each of them and have my patterns all ready to go.. Just have fun...

o

Thank you so much for your help. It is most appreciated!

o

Stick to Vicking White Brothers Nicchi Phaff
If you dont want a lot of headaches
Harold

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here