Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minnie_tx

Wrap Pants 2 1/2 yards and 2 hours -

minnie_tx
11 years ago

We made these in the 70�s but I lost my pattern. It has recently turned up. I haven�t made them in a while but intend to. Try it You�ll have fun and will want to make a pair for BBQ�s and brunches etc. The girls in my office all made them and wore them to a Christmas party. It is a way to use up some of that fabric stash too.

Wrap Pants 2 1/2 yards and 2 hours - with one crotch seam and finished edges

Use Cotton or cotton blend fabric

Measure from your waist to the floor and add 12 inches = Length and the amount of material to buy or use.

Example: if length is 38 inches then the measurement would be 88 inches.

You would use 88 inches of material or 2 1/2 yards.

Cut 4 inches from each of the two ends. These will be used for ties for the waistband. Put aside.

Fold the material in half crosswise so the length of the material is from top to bottom and the width of the material is from side to side (usually 36 or 45" wide material. Cut it in half.

You should have 2 pieces 36 by whatever length. Put the two pieces together - right sides facing each other on the insides.

Measure the center of them from the waist (top) down to the bottom, draw a pencil or chalk line on the material. That is going to be where you cut out the crotch area for your new pants.

Now, take a pair of your favorite slacks or pants and turn them inside out. You are going to use the crotch of them as a pattern on your new pants.

Place front crotch seam of pants on left side of center line so that bottom edge of paints waistband is 1/2 inch below the raw waistband of new material and the inseam of the pants is on the front line that you drew.

Trace that curve wirth chalk or pencil.

Turn the pants over and trace the back crotch on the other side. Trace as before.

Front curve will be narrower than back.

Cut along the traced curves leaving a 5/8 " seam allowance . Stitch that seam and clip the curves and press seam open. Now stitch all non-selvage edges around fabric.

Hem the bottoms at desired lengths.

Remember the top of the pants is up where you cut and sewed the crotch seam.

With those 4 inch strips you cut in the beginning make four ties for the waist. Fold the strips in half crosswise, stitch and turn out, finishing off one end of each. Or fold in half and turn in the raw ends and top stitch.

At each upper corner of pants overlap a tie for 1 inch and stitch securely.

Now you have a weird looking pair of pants.

To wear them hold them up and straddle the crotch. Take the back ties around your waist and tie. Then pull up the front and tie the ties in the back.

Once you get the hang of it they are fun to make and fun to wear. .

The dqte on my file is 4-4-02 I thought I posted them here back then but cant find he pot. give these a try. When I find my Sewing Machine I'm going to make another pair.

Someone who didmake some sent me thisphoto of how to get into them

Comments (4)