Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making curtains-have a question about rods

Posted by deannabsd (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 20:43

I made curtains for my daughters apt. and when I went to find rods (just a spring rod), I am discovering that I can only find them 84 inches wide. The window is 84 and I am not sure if there would be enough spring to support it. They were also quite expensive at Wal-Mart. Someone suggested getting pvc pipe and then some type of end would have to be put in the hole. I would like to avoid screwing or nailing if at all possible as she is renting from a friends family. Unfortunately my only choices are walmart and k-mart and then a local lumber yard. I had thought about shower curtain rods and they only come 72 inches.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The curtains are done. Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making curtains-have a question about rods

They may not make longer tension rods as they could sag in the middle from lack of support. Would it be possible to get permission from the friend's family for curtain brackets? Surely they wouldn't object to your daughter wanting some privacy. They might even install the brackets for her.

o

That is the longest I remember seeing. Could you get the 84 and if it is not tight enough just put something between the rod and the wall like maybe those round rubber things that go under furniture or a something like that. Something that would be covered by the curtain.

o

That is a great idea; I could put a little block of wood or something. I just never thought of that. Thanks so much. Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here