Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl sewing

Posted by R_W_B (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 20:10

Hello, I'm looking to buy some "hand" sewing needles for sewing lightweight vinyl.

But I'm having a bit of trouble finding them.

I think I need a size 11 needle in a wedge type point. The wedge cuts the vinyl hole rather than puncture it like a sharp needle. This keeps the holes in the vinyl from showing up as much.

Does anyone know where I can buy these needles ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl sewing

I believe they are called wing needles and should be available at places like Jo-Anns

o
RE: Vinyl sewing

Have you googled leather hand sewing needles?

o
RE: Thanks for replies

Thanks guys. I finally did find some and ordered them. For hand sewing they mostly go by the term "Glovers" needles and they are available once you find them. There are several resellers that sell them straight thru or at Amazon.

I also lucked out and found just one in a kit set of several needles at a local Fabric store. I have sewn something onto the vinyl with it already and it does penetrate easier than the round "Sharp" point needles and leaves less of a visible hole (it cuts more of a slit).

Also it helps to wrap you middle finger, middle joint with masking tape so as to push the needle thru without pain. Wiggling it a bit as you push helps.

For machine needles of same said type, they are referred to as "Leather" needles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here