Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northtexasgirl

Best Sewing Scissors

northtexasgirl
17 years ago

Hello. I am starting to sew again after 30 years and it sure is challenging but is great for winding down after a stressful day. My question is this: what are the best, reasonably priced sewing scissors? There are so many different ones and so many different prices. Bought a pair at a local Walgreen's the other day for much more than I am accustomed to paying but they had a life-time guarantee so I assumed they would be good sewing scissors. NOT!! Could hardly cut the fabric...must have been meant for heavy duty materials. Thanks for your help. :)

Leona

Comments (9)

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

If you have a hancock's or joann's fabrics close by the run scissors 1/2 off a good bit. Gingher's made in Germany are good and fiskars are actually better than you'd think.
    Good Luck,
    Susan

• colleenny
    17 years ago

Ginghers and Fiskars are the best scissors. If you buy cheap scissors they will not do a good job cutting your fabric. Wait till you see a good sale and buy a good pair. Use them only to cut your fabric. Colleen

• tealcatfan
    17 years ago

Leona,
    I have a pair of Mundials, and a pair of Singer's I love them both and paid well over $35.00 for each but they were worth it. I have Fiskar pinking shears. I use to use cheap scissors and was replacing them every couple months or so I finally broke down and bought the Singer ones and I realized I would never need another pair of scissors but did buy the Mundial's because I always wanted a pair of them.I am very happy with all of them and I do not regret the money I spent but I sew everyday so it is a blessing for me.
    Donna

• gerizone5
    17 years ago

I think Ginghers are the best and well worth the price.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

I have Gingher,fiskars,mundials,kai,and singer.My favorite 2 pair are the Gingher,and the Kai.I use the Kai the most,because they are lightweight.I've had them for over 18 years and have never had to sharpen them.

I must also add that i use my rotary cutters more than scissors,especially for cutting things out.
    Kathi

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone! Looks like Gingher tops the list. We do have a Joann's here and I will go tomorrow and check out their specials on Gingher scissors. Have a beautiful night.

Blessings,
    Leona

• joansews4u
    17 years ago

You need to get on Joann's mailing list to see when their sales are. The next biggie might be Vet Day or the day following Thanksgiving. Most of time they were 50% off but lately only 40% off. Watch Ginger location of manufactor printed on the scissors. They were Germany, but could be Brazil, Italy or now Mexico. German is best.

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

I wanted to add that I'm like Kathi and I use the rotary cutter more than scissors. Usually the day after Thanksgiving Joann's puts a gift set with the cutting mat, cutter and ruler on 1/2 price. You may decide to get one of those too.
    Susan

• northtexasgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I found a 40% off coupon for Joann's and bought a Gingher gift set which included the 8" dressmaker scissors and the embroidery scissors. I am very pleased with my purchase. You all are the best. Have a beautiful night. :)

Leona