Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lighting for sewing room

Posted by mammasews (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 18:50

I am getting my daughters old bedroom to turn into my own private sewing room. The ceiling is nine feet tall, there are 3 south and west facing windows,light blue walls and black carpeting. I need to know what type of overhead light would be best to use in this room. I already have 2 ott light goose neck floor lamps that I use at my sewing tables, however, I need something overhead to light up the entire room. My cutting table will be in the center of the room for easy all around access. My ironing station has its own built in lamp. My electrician is suggesting wrapped double tube florescent fixtures but that sounds too much like industrial lighting. My old house had lower ceilings and I had a ceiling fan with tulip lights and that gave me a lot of light. This house is an old farmhouse with extra high ceilings. I may want to turn the room into a sitting room at some point and don't want to make it to uninviting. Right now there is no lighting of any kind, save for the Ott lamps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lighting for sewing room

I don't like florescent lights for sewing. Have you ever been in a fabric shop and thought you were looking at navy that turned out to be purple when you got it to natural light.

Why don't you try a swing arm wall sconce with a big drum shade over your machine. You could swing it out to shine directly over your machine when you are using it and swing it back when not in use. Keep the shade white for maximum light. That is something you could leave there even if you turned it into a bedroom. Get one thay plugs into a wall socket

o
RE: lighting for sewing room

I have a swing light beside the machine but for the rest of the room I have can lights. They are nice for the cutting area, especially if you drop straight pins and it is also helpful if you sew until you get tired, it makes to whole room bright. My sewing room is a 12'x16' and we have can lights in an u shape, a shorter side where the sewing machine is and the open end where the books, notions and things like that are. I also have two regular overhead lights. I like a bright, bright sewing room and kitchen and it really helps me see. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here