Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sewing window sheers

Posted by 930-Jean (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 17:27

Does anyone have tips for sewing on crawly sheer fabric for window panels. I have not sewn in a while and not looking forward to sewing on this fabric.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sewing window sheers

I've only worked with sheers a few times. I press the hems/casings using a cloth and low heat so I don't melt them. I also pin to keep the hems in place and go slow, keeping the fabric taut to prevent slipping. I also use longer stitches, but not quite basting length stitches. HTH
Hopefully you'll here from the experts on this.

o

I always use a new needle for sheers, they can snag so easily. Second the suggestion to use lower heat on your iron. Also check the needle size, usually need a smaller needle for thin fabrics. Good luck!

o

It depends...I shortened sheers for the guest room and expected all kinds of trouble, but had none. Be sure, when you're sewing to hold the fabric in back of as well as in front of the needle and don't just push it along.

And lighten up your presser foot pressure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here