Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyg_in_mi

Valance help please!

kathyg_in_mi
15 years ago

I'm making valances for my kitchen and need some suggestions for the rod pocket. The valances will be straight across (no ruffling), but I'm going to put a large pleat in the center of each. What would be the best way to make/attach a rod pocket for the rod? Normally I would just sew on a long piece of fabric and run the rod thru it, but with the pleat I'm drawing a blank. I think part of my problem is that I don't want fabric sticking above the rod, so it is not a traditional valance. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to do?

Friday I'll be taking a ride to Joann's and will check out the patterns there, but will take any and all advice to heart!

Kathy G in MI

Comments (7)

• msmarion
    15 years ago

You can staple it to a piece of 1"x3" board they way the pros do. The boards are attached to the wall with angle brackets. No need for rods.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will rethink that idea. I have one roman shade in my bedroom that is velcroed to a board so it can come off and be washed.
    The problem with that is that the window over the sink has no space on either side and right now I have a tension rod up there between cupboards, so would rather use rod and rod pocket. DH would not be happy with problem of putting wood up there.
    Kathy G in MI

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Kathy, what I have done is make the face of the valance, pleat, hem and all. Then I sew narrow strip of fabric to the back of the already finished valance, to run the rod through. Hem the ends before you start to attach...the sides will be hemmed by folding them under AS you attach them. The strip can be attached at the very top since you don't wish to have the header ruffle at the top.
    Clear as mud??? Email me!
    J

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had hoped to make the valances with lining, attached, will have to take off lining and if I make it separate I think I can make it work. I'm heading to the big city tomorrow, so I'll stop into Joann's and check out the books and patterns there.
    J, I see what you mean about the narrow strip of fabric, only I can make that my lining fabric. I've all ready attached my lining fabric, but can take it apart and try, try again.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Kathy G in MI

• joansews4u
    15 years ago

Can you add a pocket & turn it down & tack it to the lining to hold it to the back side?

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

If your lining goes all of the way to the top and you are folding it over to make a rod pocket then it would seem you will be putting your rod between two layers of lining. If you pleated the lining also then just sew down the pleat in that area before making the rod pocket.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Made one! What I had to do was remove the lining fabric, make my pleat in the fashion fabric, then I resewed the lining fabric on. I was worried about too much bulk.
    Forgot to sew the top part of the fashion fabric to itself to make sure no issues putting rod in pocket, but I was able to do it with no issues.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
    Kathy G in MI

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH