Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_k

Baby Lock Quilters Choice problems

bob_k
11 years ago

My wife has a Baby Lock Quilters Choice model BLQC2. The machine is about 4 years old but has only been used about a dozen times. My wife is 70 years old with health problems so she don't sew that much any more. Just little repairs now and then. Anyway this afternoon she was hemming a pair of jeans for our grand-son. One leg was done and just finished up the second leg and realized the thread was bunching up. She stopped and cut out the un-wanted thread and started over again to finish up. But discovered that the needle doesn't seen to be going down far enough to go through the fabric. Check needle, re-threaded, changed bobbins. Don't know what the problem is. Any suggestion? or is time to take into the shop.

TIA

Bob

Comments (5)

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

The fault is not with the machine or the bobbin or threading. Denim is a heavy fabric and if you don't use the right needle it won't go through the fabric or if it does not enough to catch the bobbin thread. To hem Jeans you either need a jeans needle or asize 18 needle. Sometimes a 16 will work if the denim is not too heavy. Because you are sewing a heavy fabric go slow and you may have to hand work it through the seams

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

If it sewed ok that far then maybe it justthat the needle needs to be changed. It may have gotten bent sewing the denim. A birds nest of thread doesn't mean it needs servicing. It is usually a problem with the needle threading or tensions

• bob_k
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The needle she was using was a brand new Jeans needle made by Schmetz. It was the first time the needle was ever used. When the needle comes down it seems like it isn't completing the full travel and barely touches the top of the fabric. It doesn't even come close to going thru the fabric or the bobbin plate.

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Wow--never heard of that happening. Without seeing the actual machine it is hard to say what's happened. Idon't know much about quilting machines. Unless there is a function on the machine that raises the needle it has me stumped. Sorry

• bob_k
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dowlinggram, thanks for your response and input I appreciate it. My wife has been sewing for about 55 years so I didn't think it was operator error. But was hoping maybe we overlooked something. Anyway we took it to the Sewing Center (Baby Lock Dealer plus several other Brands) this morning and had them operate it and they had the same problem. They didn't know what was wrong with it. So it is in for service. Should know in a couple of weeks what the problem. I ask the Tech (One of the owners) if they had problems with the Baby Locks. He said no that they were a very reliable machine. Well at this point I am not impressed. The wife has a couple of other machines. The old reliable is her White 6600. She has had it 30+ years with out having a problem. I have oiled it a couple of times but that is about it for service. So to have problems with this Baby Lock with very little use makes me wonder about the quality. Anyway thanks again for the help.

Bob

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022