Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misslynn_gw

Did I over charge?

MissLynn
12 years ago

A friend purchased some lined draperies at a close out store and asked me to alter them. Mind you the alterations where not just a "shorten them up" job, they where ALTERATIONS. This was a very time consuming job and I thought I was being more than fare in charging $75. After all she was still spending less than full retail price for the drapery. When I told her what I was charging her she didn't sound very happy. Did I charge to much?

Comments (6)

• jomuir
    12 years ago

No.

If she balks, ask her to call a couple drapery shops for quotes, she'll be happy to pay you $75 after they tell what they would charge.

I always say I don't do alterations. Last clothing alteration I did was for a family friend who was dying of cancer, none of his clothes fit him at the end. It took me hours and hours to alter the waistbands of his slacks, wouldn't have done it but for who it was.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Of course not. You probably undercharged. And you should have set your price before doing the work.

I won't touch a job unless I can make about $20/hour, and I judge pretty accurately how long a job will take. If I underestimate the time, that's my problem.

• evaf555
    12 years ago

You don't say how many panels, or what you did, but quite likely you undercharged instead of overcharged.

As someone who has done this at home, and currently for two other stores, the stores I work for have prices that basically work out to 45 and 60 dollars an hour. At home I try for 25 to 30. Let me say, too, that once I subtract postage and handling for materials and supplies, gas and mileage on the car to pick up supplies when I can't wait for an order, heat and lights I wouldn't be using if I wasn't working, needles, maintenance on the machines, sharpening the scissors...I get to keep about half of what I take in.

I have made mistakes in underestimating projects. Now, i would stop before I went any further and ask the customer if she wanted to proceed.

• User
    12 years ago

It sounds like a communication problem. Especially with a friend, you should have talked money up front. I refuse to do any work for money. Just do free work for my loved ones.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

• Liddybuff
    11 years ago

I find it's not just time and money involved here. It also involves your TALENT! Some people just don't have a clue as to how long it takes to become good at what you do. I think when I figure out what I will charge, I usually go a little under what I really think is fair. So if, after stating that price, they are bothered by it, then so be it. If you don't agree....go elsewhere. After all if they could do it themselves they would not need you. Right??

• Liddybuff
    11 years ago

I find it's not just time and money involved here. It also involves your TALENT! Some people just don't have a clue as to how long it takes to become good at what you do. I think when I figure out what I will charge, I usually go a little under what I really think is fair. So if, after stating that price, they are bothered by it, then so be it. If you don't agree....go elsewhere. After all if they could do it themselves they would not need you. Right??

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz