Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing swim/dancewear fabric

Posted by kathieo (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 15:43

I am making a unicorn costume for my granddaughter. The one I am copying looks like this type of fabric. I have it already cut out but I was trying to use my serger to finish the seams and it does not serge very easily. Are there any special tips I should know for sewing this type of fabric. It is very flowy and stretches both ways. I don't think the cut edges will unravel but I like to finish my garments on the inside.

I am using ball point needles. Whatelse should I know. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing swim/dancewear fabric

"this type of fabric" is left open to our imagination. Did you mean to leave us a link so we could see what you are trying to serge?

If you are using any sort of sequined fabric, you may find it helpful (for your needles' sake) to remove the sequins in the area of the seam.

Another rule is ... do not stretch or tug as the serger stitches. Otherwise, you will get a stretched out look.

It's been a long time since I sewed on that type of fabric (at least 12 years), and that's what I can remember. There is a great book out there, "Sewing with Knits" - - I think it's a Singer Sewing Library book.

Donna

o
RE: Sewing swim/dancewear fabric

Thanks donna. The fabric is a two way stretch...no sequins I think it is called panne. It is very soft and when I tried to serge it, the stitches were very uneven and no flat at all. I gave up on serging it. It doesn't seem to ravel at all except for the elastic at the cut edge. When you remove the cut elastic it is fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here