Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ideas trim for wedding blanket

Posted by msjay2u (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 15:41

Hey guys, this is the first time posting on this particular forum and I was not quite sure if this is the right one to post to.
I am planning on making a wedding blanket sometime in the near future. I have been looking for the right kind of fabric and trimmings to use. I know I will not be able to replicate these exactly BUT I can get the general look. I would love to have a source for the trim without it breaking the bank. I plan to make a blanket about half the depth of my bed and I figure with all the rows of trim I am going to need about 15 years. I found some trim about $9 a yard and well times that by 15 we are talking about $135!!
yeah,,,no,,,,I am experimenting. I may one day work up to that price if I want to make and give a blanket to a family member but for now I only want to try this and keep the costs low.
Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog has many more photos of these types of blankets

Follow-Up Postings:

o
oopsie

LOL I meant 15 yards not years...was that a Freudian slip or what? LOL

o
RE: ideas trim for wedding blanket

I've never seen these before...interesting. But they look uncomfortable with all that trim and esp with the beading. I like things on my bed I can curl up with, not hard and fussy stuff. But that's me. If I were doing this, I would probably by a chenille bedspread and add trim to it and line it with satin.

I suggest you look on ebay as you can sometimes get real bargains on things like trim of various sorts.

o

LOL this is in no way a blanket to curl up with...you put it on the end of your bed. The metal trim make a clicking sound when you move it about. The cheapest blanket is about $750. I don't think the real deal is rough though. From what everyone says it is extremly soft and feels wonderful.
I have searched eBay and Amazon and several other places and to no avail. I am thinking I might have to find a way to make my own trim. That is why I posted on here... to see if anyone had any ideas as to what I can use.
I know you guys are more familiar with what is out there than I am.
Thank you for responding... I am going to check out chenille bedspreads again. I looked them up but did not really find anything that twinkled my toes yet. LOL

o

what a different blanket!
The trim you're referring to, it's the fluffy stuff in the rows in the body of the blanket, right? (as opposed to the trim/binding around the outer edges I mean)

Well, if you're frugal enough to hand-sew all the little discs from your blog, you can try your hand at making the trim. You'd have to try a couple dif. ways I think.
I'd try something like taking yarn/floss/heavy threads and sandwiching it between a layer of binding, sew it closed, cut in half then you have 2 strips of binding to attach to your project.
see reply #241 on this page
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,9709.210.html

this looks very similar to what you want, but wow the webpage has some serious popups to contend with.
http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-sew-your-own-trim

here's 1 that looks really close to what you're looking to make (I think)-needs a notion
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/media/products/techniques/brush-loop-fringe.pdf

Another that needs a notion
http://myownfringemaker.com/faq

good luck, please post a finished pic when it's done!

o

one last thought, I'm attending the American Sewing Expo this weekend & plan to walk the whole show. I'll ask around for notions that can do trim, see a demo if possible & post the co's website next week if I see anything.

o

thank you for those links. You got me thinking in an entirely new direction. I loved that link from sewingmachinesplus. I then tried finding that rug fork and one thing led to another and I found this on ebay. I think I can make it out of cardboard and make my own trim!! whooowhooo
thanks so much. Now I have to find sources for yarn in bulk. By George I think I have it now...

Here is a link that might be useful: fringemaker

o

see, this could still end up costing you some bucks! But you can customize your colors & may end up with an even better design when it's done.!

o

There are a number of places on line where you can learn to make your own chenille.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make your own chenille

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here