Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 14:17

My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about the 1970's. I've had a problem for years which I just struggle with. Maybe someone here can help me.

Often when I begin to sew, a tangled mess of threads is created on the bottom of the fabric and I cannot continue sewing. I have to pull the whole thing out and cut it all off and start over. Sometimes I can continue sewing, but there is still a tangled mess on the bottom of the fabric. What causes this?

Thanks....Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?

A question first: How often do you clean the lint out of the bobbin area? That's the first thing to do when this sort of thing happens. If you have been keeping on top of the daily maintenance (yes, it should be cleaned every time you sew), then my guess would be that you're either getting backlash in the bobbin, or you have a burr somewhere on the hook or bobbin case that's snagging the top thread. Keep in mind, that the Touch and Sew has a fairly bad reputation, especially the earlier models, which are known to the old sewing machine repairmen as "Touch and Swears".

Annie

o

I have a T&S 638 and there are a few of us here on the forum who sew with them all the time. I agree with damascusannie.....clean out your bobbin case area first thing. Check in your manual and it will give you detailed instructions on how to remove the case. If you have the bobbins that are plastic and with indication rings on them, do not wind them past the last ring (that could be another problem). I would play with the needle thread tension and the pressure dial are at a correct setting. For my machine most times the pressure is at 4. Are the bobbins even when filled? Same thread in bobbin as on the spool. Change needles, change thread, clean and oil....as a last resort take it in for some TLC. My 1967 T&S will outlast me according to my repair person

o

There is a wire by the tension disk. Look at your threading diagram & make sure it is threaded correctly at that point.

o

I love my Touch 'n' Sew and mine sometimes does this - I'm not sure why. I've gotten into the habit of doing a test on a swatch every time I rethread my bobbin which makes it alot less annoying. I had no idea Touch 'n' Sew had a bad rap - I've had mine for years and am very satisfied with it.

o

lamalu--It's only the EARLY T 'n' S machines that have the bad reputation. Apparently, they got the bugs worked out in later models. Because I collect antique and vintage sewing machines, I've gotten to know quite a few retired sewing machine repairmen and they all agree that the early T 'n' S's were pretty bad. Actually, Touch 'n' Swear is the NICEST name they have for those models!

I've also met a lot of gals like you that have later versions and love them, so Singer apparently took the complaints seriously and made the proper changes.

Annie

o

I see that My Mother, Joan and Budster have already responded. I think we are the only 3 people on earth who like T&S. As Bud mentioned I sew on mine almost daily and several hours at a time. I've learned to clean, clean, clean, the bobbin casing.

Mine is a 1964, 600 and it is actually called an AutoReel, so I guess that was the name before T&S.

Is this (birdnest) happening when you start sewing or when you're well into the project? I make sure to always leave a long tail of thread when I start out.
Good Luck,
Susan

o

Annie - How do I tell what year my machine is? I bought it used. Last time I had it serviced I asked my repairman if I should consider replacing it and he advised me to keep it - so maybe it's newer.
Speaking of sewing machines I'd love to get a portable to take to sewing/quilting classes but am not up to spending hundreds on a Featherweight. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

o

Singer has a good dating list on their website for dating machines by serial number. I can look it up for you if you wish.

Get a Singer 185 or 99/Spartan for your portable machine for classes and retreats. The 185 is the lighter of the two, but the 99s and Spartans are easier to find. They are not quite as small as the Featherweight, but still much smaller than a full-sized machine.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer 185

o

Excuse me, lamalu.....but watch for Singer 22l's......a few people on the various sites have gotten some good deals on (dare I say it) ebay. If you ask a Singer or local sewing machine repair place to watch for something they might find you a machine........Budster who found a Singer 222 just that way.

o

Wow, thank you all so much for your helpful replies. It's so interesting to hear from you. I'm a little embarrassed to say I have struggled with this problem for years. On my recent project it was much better. I was using a size 11 needle, smaller than usual. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

The bird's nest starts within the first inch of sewing. I can hear it building up underneath, and very little forward progress is being made. I make sure both top and bottom threads are nicely to the back before I sew. It could be some kind of burr or something which snags in the bobbin area. I'll check that out.

I do usually keep the bobbin area free of lint, threads, etc., but I'm sure it could use a good cleaning at this time. I usually use a q-tip and long pins to dig the lint out. I also oil the machine per book instructions.

My machine is a T&S Model 758. I bought it before I was married and loved it because of the Flexi Disk which had the little ducks swimming. Anyone have that? And guess what--have never used it even once!

Yes, the plastic bobbins fill evenly, and I do not overfill.

Is it important to take these machines for a professional tune-up occasionally? It hasn't been in for many years.

The machine is put away now, but I'll print this and check out some of the suggestions. Thanks all!!

o

Susan,
I think Mother's (Joansews) is a 758. She's worn out several of these machines and buys one everytime she finds one. I know the inside of my bobbin area is a little different. You may want to make sure that the needle is all of the way in place and that it's not catching on a "hook" in the bobbin area. I bent mine a little bit becasue it was snagging the thread.
Susan

o

I finally got around to looking up the serial number for my machine - it is Model 603E, made in 1964. I didn't find any other information than that, tho.
This weekend there is a big yard sale nearby so I'm going to start scouting around for a portable. lol - this will be my 4th sewing machine - I've got the Singer, my grandmother's treadle and a Necchi that I use for sewing leather and upholstery. Someday I supppose I'll have to downsize but I don't want to think about that!

o

Downsize? Honey, you've just got a good start. I have five machines in my big sewing table alone--over 60 all together.

Annie

o

i had the gloden touch and sew bought in 1072 and it took me 30 + years to wear it out. i found when mine would have a problem with that a new plastic bobbin took care of it. i don't think the plastic quality was good. i have a janome now and love it.

o

You said it happens within the first few stitches and that you keep the threads in the back. Try holding those threads with just a little bit of tension for the first few stitches. I think it would help.

o

Oh Annie! You are my hero! Next time I get the business about buying sewing/craft equipment I'm going to show them this post!

o

Awwww! I miss my T & S 778. A couple of years ago I took it apart and gave away all the pieces to people on THS who wanted them. I know it all went to good homes. Still, I sometimes miss it, had that thing for over 20 years! Just wore it out!
Kathy G in MI

o

I have a T & S 620 and I love it. It is my favorite over my Athena 2000. It is 41 yrs. old and going strong. Yes, every repairman tells me it a great machine and I shouldn't get rid of it ever. So as long as it works I won't. However, I contemplate getting another one but then I think...for what? I did buy a serger which I am not crazy about..too much fiddling with the tensions to get it right.

Can any one suggest a machine that would do more than the T & S and be worth buying at this point. I sew mainly children's clothes, repairs, etc. no quilting. I'd like something that can handle fine fabrics like chiffon and silk with ease.

Kathie

o
RE: Just the other day.........

A friend gave me an attachment for sewing circles that is for the T&S. I know it has a "proper name" but it eludes me at the moment. I already had one but hey, two is always better than one right? My friend found it at a local SA for a quarter, can't complain right?

o

I think they're called Fashion discs or Flexi-Stitch discs.
You might have gotten the one called Ball Stitch, which is a Fashion disc.

Marion, I've started to hold the threads with a bit of tension for the first few stitches, but I haven't done it long enough to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion; it reminds me to keep trying it.

o

I have a Touch n sew #758 also! The problem I have had was if I start to sew on the very edge of the fabric. If I move the foot up on the fabric and back stitch it seems to help me.

o

Kitah, yes, that's exactly what happens when I start right at the edge!! But if I start "in" a bit, then I have to turn it around and sew back to that edge, so I don't like to do that. But I like your idea of backing up. I'll try that. Thanks!!

I do like the machine. It's seen me through a lot of quilts and Halloween costumes.

o

Susan All of the above solutions sound good. I was told after the needle goes up and then starts in the down position stop sewing, or move the needle by hand to this position. This is where you start sewing this works for me and I haven't had a tangle since [well almost never ] because It's always more fun to sew without knots. Paula

o

I just got my Touch 'n' Sew today at a garage sale bought it for 8.00's I don't think they realized the worth of the machine. I am not sure which one it is that you guys are talking about but I will go and look hehehe.. got me interested... I seen it with the case and all was listed for 100.00-150.00 .. wow I am like should I use it. But I am going to, just going to take good care of it. I JUST CAN'T FIGURE OUT THE THREATEN THOUGH... MY BOBBER IS THE PLASTIC TYPE WITH THE METAL ON IT.... LOL I AM NEW AT SEWING BTW.

BUT I GOT THIS PILLOW QUILT CRAFT AND I WANT TO MAKE IT FOR MY FRIENDS BABY THAT COMING...

ANYONE HELP?

LADONNA ... THANKS .. OH ANOTHER ?? ANYONE KNOW THAT THE METAL HANDLE LOOKING THING IS ON BOTTOM IT LOOKS LIKE A KICK STAND LOL BUT I KNOW IT CAN'T BE...

WELL NICE DAY EVERYONE!

o

You should see a number on the outside of the machine. Tell us that number and we should be able to help you. The bobbin is plastic and the metal thing keeps it in place. You wind the bobbin inside the machine, unlike most other machines.
Susan

o

Yes do as Susan said and tell us the number and I'm sure someone would jump in to help you. Great purchase by the way....hope it runs well for you.

o
Update on machine search - arrrgh

Been searching around for a portable for quilting class and found a 185 for $5 about an hour away but when I talked to my sewing machine guru he said he didn't think it was worth the trip and to come down to the shop because he had one and look before I drove all that way.
Well, one thing led to another and he pulled a couple Featherweights out of the back room. Oh my. The newer one [1964 I think] was in absolutely pristine condition - I don't think it had ever been used. $400. And the 185 was the most delicious green color. Don't you know I bought them both?
Happy owner of 5 sewing machines and counting!
He also told me that he had NEVER found a Featherweight at a yard sale in my area. As if I needed any more reasons to get it!

o

How do I download a manual for the 620? I found a service manual on the T&T website, but I would like directions for the circular stitcher I ordered off Ebay.

My plastic gears are fine on my machine, but does it stop sewing if the plastic gear breaks?

I like the different types of decorative stitches on it, a piece of history just 6 months younger than me. :p

o

Lamalu--Great finds! I'd have driven the hour to get the first 185.

Melly--If a plastic gear breaks, you will not be able to sew with your machine.

Annie

o

I have a T&S 600E, which I love. I bought it from a retired Singer repairman, who said the 600E is the last model made with metal gears. He promised the 600E would still work in 100 years. I also have a new Brother machine that doesn't do any better than the T&S.

I do pretty well with it. Recently, I've noticed one problem that just started. It looks like the bobbin tension needs to be adjusted. The top tension is fine. When sewing on two pieces of fabric, the stitch on top (top tension) is perfect, but when I turn over the fabric there's slight puckering on the other side. This indicates the bobbin tension needs to be adjusted, but I don't know how.

I could take it in to the repairman, but I'd rather learn how to make the adjustment myself.

I'll appreciate any tips anyone has.

Thanks,
Krsanna

Any ideas?

Krsanna

o

I'd adjust the top tension first--just because the stitch looks good on the top, doesn't mean that the top tension is necessarily correct. Any time tension is off, it simply means that the tensions between the top and bobbin aren't in balance. Try tightening your top tension a bit and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, then work on the bobbin tension.

Annie

o

If I remember correctly, the tension was what made mine do this. I had a 638? I think for years that I learned on, and my mom bought it probably in the late 60s or early 70s with those green stamp things you used to get at the supermarket, I think. It could be frustrating, that's for sure - but when they did work, they were TANKS, which is nice compared to so many of today's plasticy kinds. We actually dropped mine on the wood floor once and it left a nice gouge (in the floor), got a bit cracked on the casing, was repaired and worked for about another decade!

I always liked the bobbins it took that unscrew in case you need to re-use them again before the thread is used up.

o

Just bought a Model 600, Auto-Reel at the thrift shop, without a manual. The Singer website http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html offers one for sale @ $15. but am not sure it's the right one. Haven't ever used (or even seen) an auto-reel bobbin before. Are they still made?
Very grateful for any input on the 600.

o

PLEASE HELP!!!

I bought a Singer T&S 645 for $40 at a thrift shop. Got it home, it works. I think. I am trying to wind the bobbin, and it WON'T. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, because I'm new at this. If anyone has any suggestions, please help.

o

Dear Cat - I assume you have the drop in plastic bobbin you can see through - open the throat plate at the bottom, you should see a tab (mine has a red dot on it) just outside the bobbin case - push it (mine goes to the right if memory serves me correctly) you will hear a "snap" - meaning the rewinding mechanism is engaged. Press the foot pedal and wind until the thread reaches the last ring on the bobbin.....not all the way to the edge because your bobbin will be overfilled. Good luck.

o

my husband's mother has a 600E T'n'S she bought new years ago. while being an avid sewer for many years, she can no longer get new bobbins to wind and when using previously wound bobbins, thread gathers (bird nest) under fabric.

she recently bought some new bobbins that are the same as the original ones. they will not wind .

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
she is really missing her sewing machine

thanks

o

Has she cleaned out the bobbin area and oiled what is needed? Does the little level still snap into place? Does she see the bobbin actually moving when trying to rewind? See if anything is stuck anywhere....that is my first thought. Budster

o
RE: Anyone Use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?

It must be synchronicity or something that we just got
a model 645 and then found the posts from catsykes and budster.
We didn' get any attachments or manual.
We found a manual at sewusa.com, but we can't find any web sites with attachments for that particular model. We don't know if any attachments for other models are compatible with the 645.

o
Was given a touch & sew 626 but it's broken...

I have never seen a T & S before but I have one now. The thing I am supposed to press so the bobbin will wind is broken, it won't stay down. Is this something that can be fixed, do you think?

o

Yes it can be fixed according to what I have read. Do a search on the web and see what comes up. The winders are listed as replacement parts on some sites so I assume they can be replaced. If that is the only thing wrong with your machine than you are lucky......it still sews correctly? Did they give you a bobbin filled so you can try it out? My bobbin winder doesn't snap up and down, there is a lever which holds the bobbin down and a little button you push over and hear a snap. Get an estimate for your repair before you commit to anything and see if it will be worthwhile for you. I bought a Sidewinder from Dritz (I think it's Dritz) and all it does is wind extra bobbins......it was $20.00 I don't know if the T&S bobbins work but I don't see why not. That might be a thought for you if the repair is too expensive....you could always try it and then return the sidewinder if it doesn't work.

o

I have the 600 Autoreel and it's basically the first T&S they came out with in 1964.
I've also had a few problems with newly purchased bobbins. It's like there is a dud bobbin in about every 5-6 new ones I open.
Susan

o
help with bobbin winding on a 600 T&S

I bought a desk off craigslist with a model 600 T&S in it, but it did not come with an instruction manual. The only sewing machines I've ever used are much newer models, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to wind the bobbin on this thing! I feel so stupid even asking this but does anyone know where to put the bobbin so that it can be wound? I can't find a spot on the top of the machine for the bobbin to snap into, and I don't know how or if bobbins can be wound elsewhere on a machine. There is a plate on the right half of the top of the machine that pops up, but it doesn't say anything about bobbins in there, just special discs, and the bobbin doesn't fit anywhere in there anyway as far as I can tell. Please help!

o

It's been many years since I had a T&S but aas I recall the bobbin winds in the bobbin case. You push the buttin to the side.
Hope this helps.
Marion

o

Msmarion you are correct.....the bobbin is wound in the bobbin case and there is a button on the left of the bobbin case you push to one side to wind the bobbin. The needle must be in the C position and the buttonhole controls must be set at "off" to make it work. darthval - did you get it to work?

o

hi, my 1970's touch and sew lasted 30 yrs. a long life considering the heavy use when it got olderi would have that problem after i filled a bobbin and i found out that the lever that you pushed back after wasn't clicking in place and left the bobbin in wind position. it also had plastic or nylon gears that kept breaking.i finally laid it to rest and got a jamone which i love. ans i used to think singer was the only machine. ralfsmom

o

I bought a desk off craigslist with a model 600 T&S in it, but it did not come with an instruction manual. The only sewing machines I've ever used are much newer models, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to wind the bobbin on this thing! I feel so stupid even asking this but does anyone know where to put the bobbin so that it can be wound? I can't find a spot on the top of the machine for the bobbin to snap into, and I don't know how or if bobbins can be wound elsewhere on a machine. There is a plate on the right half of the top of the machine that pops up, but it doesn't say anything about bobbins in there, just special discs, and the bobbin doesn't fit anywhere in there anyway as far as I can tell. Please help!

Val,
You put the bobbin in the machine like you are going to sew. With the machine threaded wrap the thread around the screw that holds the presser foot on, 2-3 times and hold it in place, then press the silver button to the right hand side of the machine down. Press your foot controller and the bobbin will start to fill. It should cut that thread that you are holding around the screw. WHen the bobbin is full, press the silver button to the right so that it pops up.
Susan

o

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It worked perfectly!

o

That is great news darthval.....now you will join the group of T&S users. They are generally great machines and good workhorses. Budster

o

I have the 638 model, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the bobbin thread to come up through the throat plate! I just recently acquired it at an estate sale, and there are no notches like I'm used to in regular Singers! To my understanding, you just put the bobbin in, snap that latch down, and make sure the thread comes out through the notch in the sliding plate. Any ideas?? It didn't come with the manual, but I was hoping to at least get a preliminary sewing job done before I went lookin' for the manual.

o

Put the bobbin in while holding on to some excess thread as you close the throat plate. The excess thread should be held to the left of the latch and in the hole in the throat plate as you close it. With the machine threaded, hold the needle thread up and toward you as you rotate the hand wheel toward you. The needle should go down and catch the bobbin thread. As the needle comes up, catch both threads and pull.

o

I received an old golden t&s a few years ago that had been recently serviced for a new timing mechanism. I was under the impression that it was ready to go, but I've tried to use it and the needle keeps hitting the bobbin casing. I'm wondering if the timing is off, maybe when the repairman put the machine back together? Or perhaps I have the machine on a wrong setting? I've tried adjusting the needle "margin" (not sure if that's what you might call it) to get closer to where the needle needs to go into, but it's still about an 1/8 of an inch off. Any suggestions would be a huge help!

o

Have you tried putting a new needle in? Could be slightly bent. Make sure the bobbin's in the right way. Make sure it's not stuck in zigzag or some other decorative stitch mode. Not that long ago, one of my machines was doing that and I had forgotten to turn the buttonhole setting back to regular straight stitch. Also try rethreading.
Remove the plate cover and make sure there's nothing under it, like threads or a piece of a broken needle.
These are things that pop in my head, but if it's none of them, it may need a trip back for another repair.

o

I need a manuel for a Singer Touch & Sew, model 758.
Can anyone help me?

o

Anyone know where to get fashion discs for a T&S 638? Also, the button hole knob (with the S for Singer on it)has cracked and is about to fall apart. Where would I get another? Any ideas would be appreciated!

o

My own source for these things is the thrift store... my local Salvation Army store sells the parts off machines that are donated but don't run. I've seen the whole box of attachments for $4.00 - as for the knob you seek, that would require asking if they have any junked Singers in the back they are going to toss OR another suggestion is to call around the your local sewing stores that sell used machines and ask if they have any parts for a Touch and Sew and tell them what you want exactly. They might also have pieces from junked machines. That is what I have done in the past and it has worked for me. Good luck. Budster

o

looking for a chain stitch without the bobbin...machine...was told it was Singer Touch and sew 1964....cost $25o.oo from a shop...Is this a good deal ? wanted it for very fine fabric....

o

$25 for a chain stitcher is a good deal IF it sews.... Not all T&S models were capable of chain stitch, and those that can require special parts - a bobbin cover, stitch plate, and a thread guide, I believe.

An appropriate T&S would be your best and cheapest CS option. I have several antique CSers, and they weren't cheap!

o

I need a manual for a 600E T&S, would any one have one?
I was given a 600E in real bad shape and have reconditioned it and it sews OK but I have a question about bobbin thread tension. How do you adjust?

o

Is there a trick to using the decorative fashion discs..They dont do what it shows in the book...I have the Touch and Sew 620 Help!!

o

Great info! I am new to sewing but am using the TnS model 758. I am having all the problems that are listed with the bobbin & all. Many of you said that you love this machine. Can you tell me what is good about this machine as opposed to another? Considering buying a new one but sounds like this problem may be worth putting up with.

Also, I need a manual. Where is the best place to get this & can I just download one onto my computer?

Thank you in advance for your help!

o

I have a 758 that my mother-in-law gave me a few years ago. I'm having my first baby in december and have been sewing things off and on in preparation (bumpers, pillows, nursing covers...) I'm planning on sewing some burp clothes and cloth diapers, but the plastic gears started breaking a month ago (maybe because I tried to sew some very thick layers of fabric) and I got replacements for the feed dog gear set, but am having trouble getting the old ones off. Does anyone know how to get the main shaft out? there are some parts that I can't figure out how to move out of the way to slide the bar out so that the narrower gear can slide off to be replaced. Hope someone is able to help.

o

Darice- I'm new to sewing too. I wish I could help you. Sorry.

Everyone- I decided to have my machine serviced & got a manual also. I tried out some of the different stitches. As I was sewing, my needle got stuck in the down position & I can not bring it all the way back up manually or with the pedal. (It currently won't sew but machine makes a humming noise lie it is going to begin stitching.) Can anyone tell me how to get the needle up and working again? Is there something I am missing? -- Please help me...

o

Hi, I'm new and I happened to find your site and discussion about the Singer Touch & sew while I was looking for a user's Manuel for a second hand Singer t&s 758, I just bought. I learned to sew, before my teen years, on an old singer, non electric that had a shuttle bobbin and a plate you moved back and forth with your feet to make the needle go up and down. I got some good information from reading your questions and answers. I now know that the bobbin is wound, in place, under the foot and doesn't have to be wound up by hand. Don't I feel dumb! But I can't find out how to adjust the bobbin tention? The thread is too loose and makes a mess under the foot plate and since I only paid $25 at a second hand store, it didn't have any manual or attachments, except for the zigzag cam, that was probably left in it, the last time it was used. I have had several sewing machines in my life but the last one I bought, after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, is an peice of c__p with too much plastic where they should have used metal. When I would try to sew, I had to keep putting it back together again.
Did anyone find a Manual for the 758 that several of you were talking about and can I get a copy?
I would certainly appreciate any help or advise you might want to share! Thanks,
Celie

o

My DH is trying fix a Singer T&S 600. The bobbin keeps jumping up. Any clues?

o

There's a wealth of information here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Touch 'n sew

o

Just bought a TNS 638 at a yard sale for $10. It didn't come with any attachments or an owner's manual, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the needle to pull up the bobbin thread. Apparently I'm also going to have to struggle with actually threading the bobbin if and when it ever comes to that. My first challenge is figuring out if the machine even works! I'm hesitant to purchase an owner's manual off E-Bay. They're selling for $25-$30 and I don't even know if the machine works. Not sure that I want to invest that kind of money yet. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions to tell me how to get the machine to pull the bobbin thread up so I can sample sew? Please email me at jenyphero@gmail.com. Thanks!

o

Open the slide plate and turn the wheel by hand. Does the hook go around and around? If not, you likely have a broken gear, which is not a trivial repair. If the hook does rotate, the most common reasons for no stitch are improper needle insertion or threading. You can download a manual at the Singer site for $15.

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer Manuals

o

Specifically I cannot always get the thread to "catch" on the wire thingy around the tension plates.

HELP PLEASE

o

I have my mothers old Golden T & S. I've been using it for many years. The problem I'm having is it will still sew jeans wonderfully, but won't sew anything light weight or slippery. It won't pull the material through and forms a "nest" of thread under the fabric. Any ideas? I have no clue where to even start.

o

As follow up, it's a 770. I have the original manual and a plastic box of "junk" that goes with it. I only shorten jeans and do small sewing tasks, so I never use the other stuff. After looking at the manual, it looks like I may need to replace the feed dog. Mine is rubber and really worn down. Should I go with rubber again or they also sell metal????? Help please.

o

I was given a 638 touch n sew for the owner could not get it to work. I cleaned and oiled the machine, went online to singer and found the user's guide and now it works well. I have not figured out the chain stitch yet and some of the other stitches but it has all cams and the needle threader works. I have not taken the time but I am amazed this was possible in 1968. I had not seen one of those before it has a replacement hook for the threader. This machine came in a cabinet. I do not know what the knee thing is for but am hoping it is a knee pedal. I now have 3 touch n sews and only one does not work; it continually goes out of time. I got that one for $25 at auction along with an apple box of sewing notions and a singer slant buttonhole attachment. I am beginning to think the older singers are good to have. I have over 10 sewing machine now and my sewing room is full. All those machines and so little time.

o

I have inherited a Singer Touch'n Sew that has never been used (except for one time only and it wouldn't sew -- so was stored until now). It's a model 638 and the problem is that the top and bobbin threads won't engage each other to form a stitch. It will hand turn to pick up the bobbin thread but that's it!!! My husband is super great at repairing my machines but this one has him stumped ........ so, I'm reaching out in the hopes that someone else has had this problem and can tell me what to do to get the machine to sew. Thanks in advance ...........

o

Sounds like a timing issue if a stitch won't form. You can download directions on how to adjust the timing here(not free):

Here is a link that might be useful: Touch and Sew

o

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I bought a T & S at an estate auction a few months ago (pd $20) and I absolutly love it! I had to thread my bobbin and everything was great! Until the next time I had to reload the bobbin! I was having that "bird's nest" problem and could not figure out what I was doing wrong. This is my 1st EVER sewing machine. Anyway thanks to some old posts here I got it going again! Once again THANKS BUNCHES!!!

o

Hi, I'm new here :) I hope it's okay that I'm joining in to this conversation...I found it while searching because I am having trouble with a Singer Touch 'n' Sew.

My machine is called the "Special Zig-Zag Model 626". It belonged to my mom, and I haven't used it in years. In fact the last time it was used was when it was tuned up in 2000. Judging by the scrap fabric left in it, all stitches worked fine then.

I tried using it tonight and was getting my top thread bunched up (birds nest?) underneath. I fiddled with the tension, and then decided to re-wind the bobbin (since I'd had a similar problem with what must have been a burr on a plastic bobbin on my grandmother's old tabletop Singer--new metal bobbin did the trick there). When I went to re-wind the bobbin on the Touch 'n' Sew, I couldn't get it to work (it started but then the thread broke) and now when I try turning the hand wheel (pardon my lack of terminology!) when the needle is in the down position, it hits some part of the bobbin mechanism as it spins around! I hope I didn't do something wrong while winding the bobbin...it's been years since I've used the machine and had to look up how to do it.

Anyway, bottom line is I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this particular model and whether it's worth getting fixed or if it's time for a newer investment? I don't care what the machine may be worth money-wise, it's more of a sentimental thing. But then again, I want it to work!

o

My mother has the 603E. A part dropped into the bobbin area and she tore it apart a couple of days ago. She has torn the machine apart before and after several tries was able to get the "black curved bar by the bobbin case" to snap back into place.

This time she is having a difficult time with the luck of popping/snapping it back in.
If you have a picture of your current machine's bobbin area - that may help her, too.
We have the manual. Not quite the angle of the parts we need.
(BTW: I remember being 4 years old when the machine came to our home. And, the wedding dresses my mother sewed that summer to help pay for the machine). They're both sewing along like crazy with each other 48 years later!
She says it's somewhat a spring.
Do you have experience and more methodic direction than luck to rearranging this area of the machine?

o

I picked up a T&S 600e at a Goodwill a few years ago for $30.00 with the sewing table. Sews like a dream.

A few days ago the light bulb went out and I tried to pull out the bulb and I know I broke something.

End of the day I had to pry the bulb out in pieces the machine still works but I need a new light compartment but don't know where to obtain one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I have a new grand and she needs summer outfits.

o

Go online and google sewing machine parts. I have used one called sew and vac; they carried parts for a really old machine I have. Since you can still use the machine, I would probably not fix it. I have an old lamp behind one of mine and it seems to do okay for me. Congrats on the new addition and sewing for her. You are an inspiration.

o

I just got a touch and sew 626 with table, hand me down from grandmother, to my sister, to me today. Came with manual attachments and extras. Thanks for all the tips I prefer to troubleshoot now before sewing. I started five years ago with a singer tradition making "ecwcs" lightweight clothing for southern cailfornia.
Thank you for your help!

o
RE: Singer 626 T&S Buttonhole Attachment

I too have inherited my mothers machine! It works well but I am trying to find out HOW to use the buttonhole attachment (not buttonhole foot) and have not been able to find a manual online for this attachment. I've been manually making buttonholes BUT want them to be nice and hoping this attachment will do just that! DOES ANYONE have any idea how to use this attachment or know where I can find the manual that will tell me?? thank you in advance for any advice........

o

Hi,

I have used and like the Singer 9960.

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist Review

o

If you're referring to one of the old black Singer's with a buttonhole attachment with templates, there's a manual here that you can download a free PDF:

Here is a link that might be useful: Singer buttonholer

o

Another place to explore your machine might be quiltingboard.com. They have an antique sewing machine area.

o

I have a touch and sew 758 that i got a few months ago. I am happy to have found a place with so much information about these machines. I hope one of you can help me. My machine won't feed at all. If i pull the fabric through, everything else works great. It did not come with a manual. I have not had a machine in several years, since hurricane katrina washed my last one away. What i had before was a newer model singer, and there is a big difference, so i am having trouble figuring out the problem. Any ideas?

o

I have a touch and sew 758 that i got a few months ago. I am happy to have found a place with so much information about these machines. I hope one of you can help me. My machine won't feed at all. If i pull the fabric through, everything else works great. It did not come with a manual. I have not had a machine in several years, since hurricane katrina washed my last one away. What i had before was a newer model singer, and there is a big difference, so i am having trouble figuring out the problem. Any ideas?

o

o

WOW! It's like a Touch and Sew fan club here!
I have a 630 that was a gift brand new in 1968 when I was 18. I've used the devil out of it ever since.
My problem is the bobbin winder. I had the machine completely gone through about two years ago, but the bobbin winder was not really fixed. Can you get new bobbin winders?
I tried to buy a bobbin winder at the fabric shop, but it did not have a spindle small enough for this machine. I've been winding the bobbins by hand, but besides being a pain. I think it is contributing to the "bunching up" problem this machine is so prone to.
Thanks for any help.

o

Here's a very comprehensive site with a lot of information about the Touch 'n Sews. There's a PDF on adjusting the bobbin winder.

Here is a link that might be useful: Touch 'n Sew

o

I also just got an old Singer Touch and Sew 758 and my top thread was bunching up on the underside of the fabric while stitching. I tried to adjust sooo many things, cleaned it out, did it all over again for days. Then tonight I just adjusted the thread tension alllll the way to 9 and it is all of a sudden sewing like a dream!

It does still have issues as the two rectangle push along things that are meant to push the fabric along for me have lost their plastic and so I have to push the fabric through myself, making for a lot of jumps and bunches in the stitching. I've got to go hunt for some new push along things (no idea what to call them) tomorrow as I've got a pile of angels to sew for a fundraiser!

I AM looking for some help of how to re-wind on the thread on this crazy looking (skinny and flat) bobbin. I've posted a new thread on the topic... No idea how to do it as this machine does not seem to be set up with a bobbin spinner on top or a wheel that disengages the needle. Any help?

o

I have the same problem as socks12345. I have tried rethreading the top thread and putting a new bobbin in and wind it. I am going to use the suggestions that have been suggested. I am a newbie to this forum.
Anyone looking for information on their touch and sew. Go to Singer.com and look under support. There is a link where you can get a download of the manual you need. You can also get information on your machine. I found out what hear it was made and where it was made.

o

I recently got a singer touch n sew at a yard sale for a couple dollars. It worked well at first... now the feed quit working and I don't know what to do. Anyone have a suggestion?

o

I recently got a singer touch n sew at a yard sale for a couple dollars. It worked well at first... now the feed quit working and I don't know what to do. Anyone have a suggestion?

o

Did you drop the feed dogs by mistake?

o

I just replaced the hook gears in a 758. Parts and instructions are available at

http://www.tandtrepair.com/

If you have worked on machines, it's not difficult, but if you haven't done any repairs, it's going to be a challenge. I'm somewhere in the middle. Even with the instructions, I spent a lot of time just worrying. But now I know how to time any Singe machine.

The feed dogs are coated with rubber that deteriorates. They aren't expensive or difficult to replace, but that's what you have to do.

To replace the gears you will need several small hex wrenches. I'm sorry, but I don't know the sizes. I have a comprehensive set. You will also need some screwdrivers.

You have to remove the parts that activate the bobbin winder in order to remove the hook gear. Nut on the hook shaft is reverse threaded. It comes off clockwise and goes back on counterclockwise. I would take some good pictures of how things look before disassembly.

To remove the other gear you have to loosen the set screws on the gear and on the timing pulley. that's the thing that is run by the timing belt. There are good pictures of these things available from the parts guy in his instruction book.

The gear shaft will slide to the right after you loosen the set screws. Then you can get the gear off. That's pretty simple compared to some of the things you might encounter on some machines.

Re-timing the machine is pretty simple, but you absolutely need the instructions. I think I could re-time the machine in ten minutes, but the first time, it took at least an hour.

Jim2.

o

I just replaced the hook gears in a 758. Parts and instructions are available at

http://www.tandtrepair.com/

If you have worked on machines, it's not difficult, but if you haven't done any repairs, it's going to be a challenge. I'm somewhere in the middle. Even with the instructions, I spent a lot of time just worrying. But now I know how to time any Singe machine.

The feed dogs are coated with rubber that deteriorates. They aren't expensive or difficult to replace, but that's what you have to do.

To replace the gears you will need several small hex wrenches. I'm sorry, but I don't know the sizes. I have a comprehensive set. You will also need some screwdrivers.

You have to remove the parts that activate the bobbin winder in order to remove the hook gear. The nut on the hook shaft is reverse threaded. It comes off clockwise and goes back on counterclockwise. I would take some good pictures of how things look before disassembly.

To remove the other gear you have to loosen the set screws on the gear and on the timing pulley. That's the thing that is run by the timing belt. There are good pictures of these things available from the parts guy in his instruction book.

The gear shaft will slide to the right after you loosen the set screws. Then you can get the gear off. That's pretty simple compared to some of the things you might encounter on some machines.

Re-timing the machine is pretty simple, but you absolutely need the instructions. I think I could re-time the machine in ten minutes, but the first time, it took at least an hour.

Jim2.

o

Sorry for the duplicate. I was trying to correct spelling mistakes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here