Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep1084

Need help choosing a serger

deep1084
15 years ago

I live in a rural town and there are no sewing machine stores within 100 miles of me. I have been sewing since I was about 12 (never mind--it was a LONG time ago LOL), but have never used a serger. I have decided I have to have one. I have been reading on line reviews and pricing them and have narrowed the search to three sergers. I need some help with what I really need.

I am thinking a coverstitch might be important as I have a lot of knits, but I could try using a double needle in my ancient Kenmore (it will accommodate one). And I can't decide what a five thread will do for me over a four thread. My three choices are an Elna 744 which is a four thread with a coverstitch and the most expensive; a Juki MO655 which is a five thread with no coverstitch and mid priced; or a Singer Quantumlock 14T967DC which does everything and is the cheapest.

I have no opportunity to test any, so I'm buying on faith. I'm concerned about the quality of the Singer, whether I'll regret not having a coverstitch with the Juki, or if I need 5 threads instead of the 4 that the Elna has. Any thoughts out there? TIA

Dee

Comments (10)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

When I decided I wanted a serger, I read up on them also and decided that I really didn't need a five thread model. So I bought a 4-thread Brother online that was on sale with free shipping. My friend helped me learn how to thread the thing. That is very important - learn to thread it first thing and practice a few times!

The first job I did, overcasting hems for a bunch of table cloths for my sister, paid for the machine.

• deep1084
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Teresa. I plan to read the manual cover to cover. I think threading will be doable. I am leaning toward the Elna which is the four thread. What would be the advantage to a five thread? I don't understand the difference.

• pattiohio
    15 years ago

Hi Dee,

I have the Singer you mentioned , not a great machine.
    Like my 15 year old Quantum better.
    Have owned several sergers , do prefer the 5 thread.
    Friend just bought the Elna 745, she loves it.

If at all possible try and test one somewhere, know you said you are not near a dealer, are you near a fabric store that sells machines such as JoAnns so you can test the types of fabrics you use. Maybe a friend has one.
    Also many companies have on line help or sites.
    Get as much input as you can before buying.

Patti

• deep1084
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for replying, Patti. I'm glad to hear from someone who has the Singer. That's sort of what I thought. Can you tell me why you prefer the 5 thread? Do you think that it is worth not getting the coverstitch in order to have the five thread? Those seem to be my choices. The Elna 744 is $800 and that was really as high as I wanted to go for my first machine. I think the 745 is much more expensive.

There is a JoAnn's about an hour and fifteen minutes away. It just is in a direction that I haven't been in a while. Right now I am still trying to figure out what features would be important to me and I haven't been able to figure out the differences in usefulness between the four and five thread.

• pattiohio
    15 years ago

Dee, you can have both. Like the chain stitch or safety stitch offered on the 5 thread did not check the Elna 744 some 4 threads do offer the chain safety stitch.

You buy what you can afford and get as much as you can for the dollars you spend. The 4 thread may be all you need.
    Just wish you could test one.

Going to check the 744 out hope you check out many sites that sell them, the prices can vary.

Patti

• deep1084
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Elna does a chainstitch, maybe not a safety stitch with only the four threads. I am going away to meet my daughter for lunch tomorrow, and maybe there is someplace there to "test drive" one. Thanks for your help!

• janene1
    15 years ago

I have had the Juki 655 for many years and have never had it in for a checkup. It is very dependable. I don't use the 5 thread part of it. I also have a coverstitch machine only. If I were to do it over again, I would buy a dependable serger that does everything I wanted it to for the money I could afford, and add the coverstitch only machine at a later date.

• deep1084
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information, Janene. I guess that you helped me decide to go for the Elna! The reason I would have bought the Juki was for the five thread, and since you don't use that, I went for the Elna with the coverstitch. I took a look at all the fabric I have waiting for projects, and my closet that is full of knits, and I decided I really wanted the coverstitch. The Elna is supposed to be quite easy to switch to the coverstitch. I ordered it from a place that promises no penalty with a 30 day return, so I felt comfortable ordering it. Thanks for your input--it helped me decide.

• pattiohio
    15 years ago

Sorry, our electric was out for a while last night.

I checked that machine you purchased, it sounds like really nice machine.

Glad you were on here info helped me also.

Let us know how you like it!!

• deep1084
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm very anxious to get it. It has been shipped already! I will certainly let you know how it works out. Meanwhile, I had emailed the seller of the Juki and asked if it had the coverstitch, and he said it did, after all! Apparently it is kind of difficult to switch to, but I understand the Elna isn't hard. So, I'm hoping I made the right decision. Anyway, once I study it and play with it a bit I will check back in. Thanks again to all of you for your help and interest. You were great!