Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyg_in_mi

Thread Storage

kathyg_in_mi
16 years ago

I was looking for a way to store my 100 or so spools of thread. Googled thread storage and Wow, got a great idea!

The person said to buy, at Walmart, the clear plastic storage cases for Hot Wheels cars, at $4.88 each. I bought 2, and as she said you can store 48 large spools (with their bobbins) or more small spools in each. The 2 I bought are almost full, but hopefully now I will be able to see at a glance what thread I have so I don't keep duplicating them.

Love the internet.

Kathy G in MI

Comments (13)

• msmeow
    16 years ago

Neat idea! I have mine in pencil-sized drawer inserts, inside a plastic rolling storage cart from Office Depot. I can fit 4 of the inserts in a drawer and just pull it out to see all the colors in it. I don't think I have 100 spools, though!

Donna

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip KathyG. Any suggestions for serger thread?

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Would welcome a tip for storing serger thread. I've got quite a bit of it. The open racks with spindles get dusty, so I got rid of mine (too many spools anyway).
    Anyone out there got good ideas for serger thread?
    Kathy G in MI

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can't believe it. This is exactly the same storage case I bought from Walmart. Only I paid $4.88 for it, not $11.00. LOL! Check out the link.
    Kathy G in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread/Hot Wheels Storage case

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Kathy do you think the case, when full, would be too heavy to hang from a couple of pegboard hooks? Space is limited in my tiny sewing/computer room.
    Marion

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marion,
    A couple of hooks to spread the weight would probably do it. I just hefted my 2 cases (full) and I think it would work okay.
    Kathy G in MI

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Here's my thread storage system.My GF DH made it for me more than 20 years ago and it holds 228 spools of thread.

For my serger thread it's stored in those plastic drawers that you get at wal mart,target and several other stores.

Kathi

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathi,
    Doesn't your thread get dusty? Do you have a cover for them?
    I think I will invest in some of those plastic cases for serger thread. When I worked at Joann's I bought all the different colors of serger thread before we moved, so I have plenty. Probably more than I need. Stocking up is great, except when you move to a smaller home, fewer closets and no basement!
    Kathy G in MI

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Yes i have a plastic cover for it,but i was cleaning and re-arranging the sewing room that day,so it was off.That's also why the hammer was hanging there as well,so i knew where it was,because if i laid it down in the mess i had i would have never found it.
    Kathi

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Hi Kathi,
    I use the same concept - my dad made me the most stunning racks....and they hold all of my threads...
    Some poeple say tha they get dusty - I've never had a problem...it's the only kind of storage that I use - the 2 large racks on my wall...wouldn't do without them for anything.....
    Bill

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

I also store mine in the thread racks on the wall. One rack for regular sewing thread, one for embroidery and one for serger thread. I keep clear plastic over them to protect them.

I like being able to just look up and see what I need.

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

If you noticed on mine i have several spools on one peg,i did that by cutting a drinking straw from the fast food places and adding it to the pegs.This allows me to stack my spools if i have more than one color.

I found a picture of mine in a magazine and gave it to my GF and she had her DH make it for my birthday.

I also like being able to see what i have at a glance.
    Kathi

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathi, Great hint on using straws!
    Kathy G in MI

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus