Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lip Cord Sewing Trouble

Posted by old_house_j_i_m (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 12:41

I am reupholstering an old sofa that I am nearly finished with - except the cushion (24 x 72 inches).

I want to make a box-edged cushion with 3/8 inch cording on both top and bottom edges. I have the cord, which has a lip and did a few test runs with the cord and fabric last week.

It was super frustrating. My machine (vintage Sears) is great and can handle the upholstery fabric with no problem. The foot is working fine (I think - maybe thats my problem) but I really think my problem is with the fabric ribbon (lip) attached to the cording.

its super soft, sheer, stretchy fabric ribbon and squishes across the width while I'm sewing. It doesnt seem to matter how tight I pull it or how well its pinned in place. I even dug out mom's "stiletto" to hold it wi thno success. That means my cord is a whole 1/8-1/4 inch "out" from the fabric and the lip ribbon shows - not really what I want.

Is there a technique I dont know of ? I have been watching a billion Youtube videos and everyone on there just zips thru it with no problem, but then again, they dont have cord that has this sheer soft lip ... ALL SUGGESTIONS ACCEPTED (Im almost ready to just handsew the whole danged thing ...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lip Cord Sewing Trouble

Do you have, or can you get a cording foot for your machine?

It would have a semi-circular cove under which the cording would be channeled.

You can do it with a zipper foot, too. Is that what you're using?

o

Hmm ... I dont - I need to google that and see what its about. THANKS

o

I agree you need either a cording foot or if you don't have that use your zipper foot those come with any and all machines I've ever had.Let us know how you do.
Kathi

o

I' m sorry, but I am not understanding what you mean by the fabric ribbon attached to the cording?? Can you attach a picture? If not, try hand basting the cording to the fabric around the challenging areas. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here