Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Do You Use To Make A Pattern

Posted by Marilyn_Sue (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 12:11

I want to make a pattern for my purse skirt. What would you use to copy it onto, newspaper, tissue, interfacing or what? It isn't all that big about 10 x 15 inches I imagine. What do you use? Have any good ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Do You Use To Make A Pattern

I use cheap packaged sew-in interfacing. It's easy to draw on & lasts forever. For your small size, regular interfacing wouldn't be too expensive, a half yard should do you.

o

the interfacing is a good idea but if you're in a pinch use the back (plain side) of wrapping paper like Christmas etc .

o

I use cheap interfacing, too. You can make two or three kids' patterns from a packaged roll that costs less than a dollar, so you will get lots of purse patterns from.a.roll. I also use wax paper in a pinch, but it is slippery.

Wrapping paper would work if you are making your own patterns, but not for tracing because you can't see through it.

o

I tend to use plain brown paper...I have some left over from packaging materials but have even used brown grocery bags.

o

Thank you all for your advice. I used the wrapping paper since I had some in the sewing room. After I get it perfected, I will transfer it to the interfacing. I have not cut out any fabric yet, but have washed up some scraps of fabric I had on hand to preshrink it. It may be a few days before I can work on it. So much going on right now. Thanks again.

Sue

o

Sue be sure take photos as you go along we'd love to see how you do it !!!

o

the press and seal from your kitchen cabinet is good for tracing a pattern on to.Works Great
Kathi

o

Painters paper that can be found at any hardware store such as lowes, home depot is great for making patterns. It comes in different widths which makes it nice so you don't have to buy the largest width for small patterns.

o

I save some of the "Blank" areas from my patterns to use for making other patterns. Sometimes they use a whole sheet of pattern paper just to print a few pieces. All the better for me I say. Since I make lots of doll clothes the pieces go a long way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here