Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathielo

Flower Halloween costume

kathielo
16 years ago

I am making my yr old granddaughter a Flower costume for halloween. I am copying one I saw online. The petals are cut from those craft foam sheets and go all around the head. I am looking for suggestion on how to attach them to the hood. Since the petals will be overlapped in some areas, I am afraid it is going to be too bulky to go through my machine. The hood will be lined with a ruffle on the edge so the petals will be behind the ruffle which is around her face. Do you think I would just sew the petals in the seams? Does anyone have any experience sewing this foam. It doesn't seem to go through my machine very easily, kind of drags. I've been trying different stitches, etc. and although it stitches fine I am getting feet marks on the underside.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

The body (stem) will be green fleece and the head (flower center) will be yellow poodle fleece, petals are pink.

Oh, and by the way, her twin brother is going to be a bumble bee. Both costumes fit their personalities. He is always after her!!

Thanks for your help

Comments (8)

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

I have never had a problem sewing through that foam. If you do tho I would cut strips of paper and sandwich the seam line between them. Sew the seam and the paper will tear off easily. The foam will not touch the machine surface, the paper will. It will slide right through.
    Sounds like a cute costume!!

• User
    16 years ago

Our high school did The Wizard of Oz years ago and I helped with the costumes. My assignment was the felt petaled flower bonnets (remember them falling asleep in the poppy field?) and my kitchen looked like a factory for a few weeks. I bet I did over 2 dozen. Very cute. Good luck with your project.

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi, I've never sewn on foam but made GD this flower last halloween. I like to make costumes that are washable. The petals are made from quilting fabrics. I sewed lots of 'fingers', sewed them around the face and finished them off with bias tape from one of the fabrics. They weren't hard to sew. Sewing a little slower helps when using heavier fabrics. The machine handled them fine, and there is no stiffener of any kind in them. Also made GS a worker bee. The shoes were his dad's baby shoes painted to go with the costume. The web address is an actual website, but not related to me in any way. Hope this helps. Linda
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• kathielo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for all the suggestions. Linda, those are very cute costumes. what is the flower body part made from? The head piece is very unique. Hope mine turns out just as cute. Kathie

• gabriell_gw
    16 years ago

I can only imagine how darling those twins will be!

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi, The flower on the body is a circle with the same 'fingers', stitched around a plastic lid, probably from a can of nuts or something. The lid has some batting on it. The circle is stitched around the back, kind of like covering a button. The head is part of a Halloween costume pattern for a lion or bunny that has a headpiece. The top and pants are a simple pattern made with 2 layers. The outside layer is green stretchy lace. The slippers are cheap bug slippers. It's fun and easy to cover plain slippers with the costume fabric. Most kid's slippers are comfortable and aren't slippery. They can wear them with the costume, then have fun wearing them till they grow out of them. I hope to see your finished costume, Linda

• kathielo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda, what did you do for your yellow/black part of the bee costume? Did you sew yellow stripes onto a solid black body or did you sew yellow and black stripes together before you cut it out. I am using the pattern from a pumpkin costume I made my older granddaughter a few years ago....I'm sure you've seen it...the one that is a balloon type over a green jumpsuit...anyway, I'm thinking I should sew black and yellow together before cutting.

gabriell, thanks, I'll try to post a picture after Halloween. Hope I remember how.

Kathie

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi Kathy, I sewed strips of black and yellow fleece fabric together and cut the pattern out of that. The stripes are about 3 to 4 inches wide. It's easier to match when there are less of them. The fleece worked well because you can stretch it a little to match it up. That pattern should work fine. My GK's are going to be 'Max and Ruby' this year. Those should be simple. A couple of rabbits dressed in fairly regular clothing. Linda

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area