Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixistix_gw

Those 'school sewing machine' sales

pixistix
18 years ago

You know the ones that are routinely advertised as an overstock of new machines that must be sold on a one-day-only sale. There's an ad in my newspaper today for Singer heavy duty sew & serge machines ($199). Anybody know anything about Singer sergers? I've been kicking around the idea of adding one to my sewing room . . . I definitely know I DO NOT need an expensive serger because I don't think I would use it very often. I do like my Singer that I've had for a million years and used extensively . . . but I'd love any advice on a Singer serger. TIA

Comments (12)

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

This was discussed not to very long ago and that post may still be around.

I've said it b4 and i'll say it again,"DON"T DO IT"!!!!
    If you can't find the other post,i'll post later and tell you my reasons,i just don't have time to do it right now.
    Kathi

• loganhogan
    18 years ago

I agree with "Don't do it!". Plus the old singer's, (mine's a 1964 model) aren't made by the same company this day and time. I've had a simplicity and a white. The simplicity was a reasonable basic model and believe me you'll use it more than you think if you get one. I paid about $200. for it. I still use my old singer almost daily for top stitching, heming, etc and the serger for construction.
    Susan in Bama

• pixistix
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both for the heads up . . . Kathi, I found the thread you were talking about. I kind of had the feeling these sales were "off", that's why I asked.

BUT, when everyone says to go through a local, established, reputable dealer . . . (which I scoped out last month) . . . and their lowest priced machine starts at $800 . . . well, that's just not in the cards for me. (No used ones either, sigh . . . )

• ell_in_or
    18 years ago

Keep trying on the used ones. They will get them in eventually. Especially around xmas when people can more easily rationalize trading up.

• donnah
    18 years ago

My White 2000 serger costs about $380 and it is a great little machine.

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Ask your local dealer if you can leave your name and phone # and if they will call you when they have trade ins in.Our local dealer always has used and re-furbished machine on site.
    Kathi

• n_hynick_ns_sympatico_ca
    16 years ago

Hi, I greatly appreciate your input, I'm new to the site not sure how to find old postings. Would like more info on why "DON'T DO IT" I only have 2 days left until the sale. Don't want to drive 100 km for nothing in a storm that is comming.
    Thanks N

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

Someone sent me a warning on those saying it was a scam, but I have no personal knowledge.

• budster
    16 years ago

I did not buy one......but know someone who did. No lessons, no warrenty, no nothing. Sure they said, "full warrenty"...but no one would honor it. The machines were cheap models and some had been refurbished. I wouldn't touch one IMHO. Budster

• ralfsmom
    16 years ago

don't do it. i bought 1 of thase 'sale' singers' and it ain't your mom's machine. i thought that singer was the only machine since my 1st in 1962 but the new ones are junk. i bought my 1st janome a few years ago and loved it .i bought my newst janome a couple of months ago,not because my janome had something wrong with it i wanted more bells and tweets on it.stay lway from singer's.

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi, It's the old saying, "If it looks too good to be true, it is." Just the fact that these companies put an ad in a paper a couple of times a year shows me that they're fly by nighters. There are millions of perfectly good quality sewing machines and sergers out there sitting in closets, at thrift stores and yard sales, and in the used section of most sewing machine stores. (Don't forget ebay, craigslist or goodwill auctions, link below. Shipping will add to the cost here.) $200 can buy a great machine. If you tell everyone you know what you're looking for, it might even show up on your porch, like Santa left it, lol. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: shopgoodwill.com

• donnar57
    16 years ago

Singer serger: phthththththththth!

I bought one at Price Club (now CostCo) in 1990 and had nothing but trouble with it. When I took it to a repairman, he really didn't want to work on it because it was "not a high quality machine and worth repairing".

I now have a Babylock - inherited from my aunt - and it's gorgeous.

Save your pennies and buy a quality used one. Don't fall for those Singer serger and sewing machine scams. My daughter is interested in learning to sew (she's 21) and I'm looking at some used ones for her....but NOT Singer.

DonnaR/CA

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor