Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing with fake fur

Posted by kathieo (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 10, 08 at 7:42

I am about to start a halloween costume, a koala bea, for my granddaughter. I've sewn with low napped fake fur before without a problem, but this particular one is a heavy nap, about 1" long and thick.

Anyone have any advice, suggestions, tips or tricks on working with fur to make sewing it easier? I am going to line it because of the rough backing. Would you suggest doing a separate lining and sewing it in or sewing each piece to its corresponding fur piece and then sewing them together.

What is the easiest way to cut out this pattern? I just did another costume with a shorter nap fur and pinning the pattern to the fur was hard enough. Cutting the pieces out and getting them exact is another problem.

What is the best way to finish the seams? Will a serger handle fur without jamming?

Hope I din't bite off more than I can chew...

Thanks for your help...Kathie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing with fake fur

Trim the fur out of the seam allowance before stitching, whatever machine you choose. You shouldn't need to finish the seams, so I'd use a narrow zz to stitch it, just enough to allow a bit of stretch in the seams. I've had good results with a regular straight stitch and a walking foot, too. But, if you trim the fur really short, you can probably run it through your serger.

If the backing is rough, you won't want the seams to rub against her skin either, so I'd say separate lining. It would it be easier to just put her in leggings and a long-sleeved turtleneck under the costume--that's what we used to do in the theater when I worked there.

Annie

o
RE: Sewing with fake fur

If it is long hair fur, the best way to cut out the pattern is to draw the pattern on the back of the fur, then with short blade scissors, cut the fabric from the back, not putting your scissors far into the fabric so that you are cutting off gobs of fur.
Oh yeah, it will be soooooooo messy, fur everywhere. You'll be eating fur!
Kathy G in MI

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here