Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christysloved

Old Kenmore model# 158. need to learn how to thread it!!!

christysloved
18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new. I have temperarily borrowed my neighbors Sears/Kenmore sewing machine. It is an older model. Model # 158. Anyhow, it is set up differently than my Brother machine. I have no clue where to start on threading it, and getting it going! It seems like its really in good condition for how old it may be.I have searched the web endlessly. All I have found was sites selling the instruction manuals. All I want to do is thread it and sew some p.j. pants for my kids. :-(

Thanks to anyone that can and is willing to help!!!!

XoXoXo

Christysloved

Comments (15)

• christysloved
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, and I searched for hours the other day!
    Thanks so much for your concern and response!
    It helped me alot!
    XoXoXo
    Christy

• lisamo
    17 years ago

Anyone,
    We just got at a tag sale the Kenmore model #158.1255180 and can't get the bobbin to work. I've never seen the drop in style and need help with it!!! If anyone can help...I have a 12 year old that can't wait to learn to sew!!!
    Many Thanks,
    Lisa

• colleenny
    17 years ago

On drop in bobbins you usually hold the thread end in your right hand. Drop the bobbin in and pull the thread towards you and then to the left. It should then catch behind the little clasp on the bobbin case. Colleen

• janetl2222
    17 years ago

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore 158 Sewing Machine Owners Manual

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Sewing Machine Instruction Manual

• stitchntime9
    17 years ago

I would refer to the Sew in USA site. The last site is probably selling illegal copies on e-bay.

I would have tag sale machine checked out thoroughly before letting the 12 year old near it.

If you tell her it's being checked for proper operation and her safety, I think she will understand she has to wait...if she doesn't understand the wait, she doesn't get near the machine until she matures more as sewing machines are not toys with a lot of technical items and skills to learn.

If the machine checks out with minor repairs/tuneup, order a manual and extra bobbins from Sears Parts if the machine checks out. I don't think they cost that much and have good instructions when reading and practicing the manual.

• AndyBrrngr_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I HAVE AN OLD SEARS KENMORE SEWING MACHINE IN A CABNET THAT LEFTS UP AND YOU PUT A BOARD UNDER IT TO KEEP IT UP ....
    MODEL # 158 . 17300
    SERIAL # 0032552

COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW OLD IT IS AND WHAT IT IS WORTH ?
    IT STILL RUNS AND SEWS LIKE NEW .....

• shadylady2u
    12 years ago

From what I can find, it's from 1975. Unfortunately, Kenmore's don't hold much value, except to their owners. I'd say about $10. However, some collectors may pay more, especially if there's accessories that come with it.

• judiandbear_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Have kenmore how do you set the stitch

• bbnichol0_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Kenmore Model #158. 17820 Serial # 0024658 Looking for a manual. Given the machine with no manual-would like to acquire a manual. Beth

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

I have been happy with most Kenmore appliances that I have owned, but hated the only Kenmore sewing machine I ever owned. I bought it as a new maching but thought it was totally worthless and gave it away.

• Sue Prieto
    2 years ago

What model kenmore? I have had LOTS of them an never any problems. curious.

• Sue Prieto
    2 years ago

AndrBrrngr having a vintage Kenmore is a great thing because the newer machines that are made post 1985 with the introduction of PLASTIC parts were not as durable, fancier stitch options but not longevity types. I tried new machines and was disappointed every time. You have a gem and anyone who knows anything about the cost of repairing a sewing machine knows owning a vintage is a lot less maintenance than the modern ones. -

• petalique
    2 years ago

I love vintage metal and metal geared machines. I have my great aunt’s Singer 15-91 — beautiful with a perfect straight stitch.

I have a lot of Vintage Singers, Kenmores, Elnas, White, Brother, Necchi.

The vintage Kenmores have their rightful devotees. I’ve got a few of the ”beast” ”sews cows” variety. One great thing about the older metal Kennies is that there is a lot of space under the foot — a lot of ”lift.” This is fantastic if you want to stich through thick items such as when mending the crotch area on denim jeans.

The youtuber Nifty Thrifty Lady has wonderful sewing machine presentations fearuring many vintage Kenmore models. She shows the huge amout of space under the presser foot with stacks of quarters. Learn how to clean, oil and properly lubricate these machines and you will be rewarded with an easy to use and maintain durable stitcher. They purrrrr.

I’ve found many of mine on Craigslist, or at thrift stores (used good), yard sales, town dump swap centers. One Kenmore ”sews cows” machine I got in a university town thrift store for about $5 to $10 with case and a few parts missing. I bought a foot controller, needle plate, access plate and bobbin case (total cost about $45). I cleaned and lubricated it. The thing is like NASCAR rig. Fast, Strong, powerful. Straight stich and low shank, so lots of used ebay feet will fit it. It likely wont appeal to those wanting a cute, lightweight plastic machine with 200 frilly stitches. But for someone wanting to patch jeans or a canvas tent, it’s great.

• Fori
    2 years ago

Sews cows. hehe.

I have my grandma's. It is too cute! But it's also over 40 pounds. Theft-proof. :)

It's a good, unstoppable machine for my simple uses but I wish it had speed control. It really is like a race car and I am not very skilled at driving.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County