Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madam_butterfly

Elna SU - Adjusting Lower Tension

madam_butterfly
17 years ago

Funny thing! I went into a search engine to get information about this and found GardenWeb listed as an information source. This is funny because I love GardenWeb but have only participated in the Butterfly forum. I didn't know about you guys!

So, I make liturgical vestments and I've been having problems with puckering so, I need to adjust the bottom thread tension on my Elna SU.

Previously, I used a Featherweight - that I loved! I could adjust the lower tension on it. I did it fairly often and was always satisfied with the results.

I made up a prototype stole last week for a proposed kit and one side seam was a little squirrely. Before I get any further into the stole I'm working on now, I want to get that lower adjustment straightened out.

This Elna seems to think its tensions are adjusted automatically. It's not working that way. And I'd rather be able to adjust the tension myself, and whenever necessary, than resort to my professional who is half an hour away. I mean, this is a basic adjustment, isn't it? We ought to be able to do it ourselves??? Yes? No?

But, I don't know how!

On my Featherweight, I took out the bobbin case and tightened or loostened that little screw until the tension would just support the weight of a fully wound bobbin. On the Elna, I can't get the bobbin case out. I can't identify a little screw that looks as though it might adjust tension. And, I couldn't suspend the bobbin case from the thread of the fully wound bobbin anyway!

Help! Soon, please! I'm into that stole and I don't want to stop! You know how that is!

E

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living