Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finishing off a needlepoint piece

Posted by michelle_phxaz (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 6:13

I am doing a needlepoint project for a wall hanging. How do I frame it? I don't want to have a professional framing job done, but what do I need to do once the whole background is done?

I was thinking of folding the edges over to the backside, trimming all but the last 3-4 holes all the way around and making a border like that. Will that work?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finishing off a needlepoint piece

I have never framed needlepoint myself, but I have finished other people's canvasses by making them into pillows, Christmas stockings, etc.

What you're proposing is just trimming and folding the canvas. Really bad idea. The canvas you are stitching is either taped or hemmed along the edge. If you cut away the hem or tape, the canvas WILL ravel right up to your stitching. You need some sort of edge finish.

If you put the piece into an actual frame, you would block the canvas and wrap the excess around some sort of backing - acid free mat board, foam core, or something.

If you're making a wall hanging, you still need to block the piece, and then back it with some sort of fabric and add a hanging sleeve.

o

First, you need to finish the stitching.
Then "block" it.
Then decide whether to stitch it to fabric, wrap it around acid-free foam core and frame it, or whatever ...

How big is it? What mesh canvas? And how big an unstitched margin do you have?

o

First dumb question, what is blocking?

The project is 19" x 7" but the finished area is 17" x 5", one inch left all around. I don't know from mesh canvases, but the holes are appx 2mm.

Thank you SO much for your help, I really appreciate it!

o

Here is the pic of the project with the needlework finished.

Here is a link that might be useful: needlepoint owls

o

Okay, I have blocked the needlepoint and bought muslin for the backing. How do I attach the muslin, and, because it is thin, should I double it up?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here