Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotzcatz

Changing pressure feet, White Family Rotary (treadle)

hotzcatz
16 years ago

It is a White Family Rotary circa 1911 treadle sewing machine which is now working fine. The machine came with this nifty box full of interesting attachments and I thought I'd finally use some of them, however I'm not sure how to change the pressure foot. I found a copy of the White manual online (the internet is amazing) however, they didn't mention how to go about changing the pressure foot although there were pages and pages about how to use the attachments.

There is the usual vertical shank which is moved up and down by the pressure foot lever. Attached to that vertical shaft is a fitting which seems to have a horizontal thumb screw/ring (which seems stuck) and the pressure foot is attached to the bottom of that fitting. There is another smaller screw which can be turned with a screw driver and then the whole presser foot with the horizontal thumb screw fitting comes off. The presser foot is attached to the bottom of the unit with a screw on the very bottom which is stuck and I don't know if it is even the right thing to undo to get the pressure foot off. I'm thinking the horizontal thumb screw may be the thing to move and then the attachments push off and on once that is loose? Although perhaps the screw on the very bottom would be the thing? That would however, then require removing the whole unit from the pressure foot to change attachments which seems a bit cumbersome.

The attachments are original with the sewing machine, so they should fit. They have a crow's foot attachment so they will attach somehow to the unit with the horizontal thumbscrew looking device however, I'm not sure how they come off and on the device.

Anyone got any guesses?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner