Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

How to hold facings

barb_roselover_in
10 years ago

I am having trouble with some of my unlined jackets for fall in holding the facings from showing on the outside if I don't keep them fastened. What do most of you do to keep this from happening? I hate to use the iron=on stuff, a nd if you whip it, it shows on the outside. Any tips? (and thanks in advance) Barb

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Has the facing been understitiched?

Here is a link that might be useful: Understitching

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

That link Annie posted is a good one.Also aafter you understitch you can then also take a couple stitches in the shoulder seams.
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

That link Annie posted is a good one.Also aafter you understitch you can then also take a couple stitches in the shoulder seams.
    Kathi

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the answers. The facings are understitched. My problem is that the front facing in so wide that especially when there is the slightest bit of wind, the whole front facing blows open. I am having a hard time putting it into words so that you can understand. I need to fasten the whole front facing onto the main front by thread or something that will hold it fast. It is just the front facing part of the jacket that sort of blows open. I am sorry that I am not able to help you visualize it. I always understitch what I make, but it is the purchased jackets that seem to baffle me. Barb

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

If you use a single line of loose herringbone stitch with just 1 thread of the outer fabric caught on each outer stitch it should be near-invisible. I hem this way most of the time and you can't see the stitching.

Or use iron-on lace hemming tape on the underside of the outer fabric and hem the facing to the lace?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The other thing you can do is to partially line the front so the lining would attach from the facing to the side seam and the shoulder seam and around the front armhole seam. But you will need to fit it to the jacket, so if the jacket has darts or princess seams, you would have to include those as well. If the jacket has little fit though, then it should work reasonably well.

I don't know how it would look, but you could always try to tack the facing down with a little stitch witchery. If you tacked it under the collar so it wouldn't show, it might work. I wouldn't do a whole strip though...just a few dots here and there. See what happens.

• new-beginning
    10 years ago

I don't whipstitch - make certain you are running your thread on the 'back side' of the facing and every 1/2" or so take a stitch which is very tiny (where you are only picking up one or two threads from the outer side) and tack that to the edge of the facing; I would do this for a couple of inches. You might need to do this in several places

This isn't for those visually impaired who don't wear their glasses or those who have lost a lost of hand dexterity either.