Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vents

Posted by talker (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 0:37

Hi guys just want to jump in here, and see if someone might be able to assist me.

Does anyone know how to put vents in t- shirt bottoms, and pant legs?

Also what size ball point needle do I need for hemming knits? Oh an how do you hem knits so you don't get waves?

This grandma is about ready to go bald. I told my husband I was ready to use glue, on all projects.
Tell me that won't hold.

Much obliged ladies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vents

For T shirts, I'd use a 70 or 80 ballpoint, depending. If you don't want waves, then be very careful not to stretch the fabric while sewing, let the machine feed it. I use a walking foot on top to help and a longer stitch. And don't be afraid to steam iron a little after, just be careful.

If you mean slits, not vents, you have to open the seam the length of the slit and open the hem a little on either side. Put the hem back first and then fold the seam allowances back in on either side. Stitch up one side of the vent, straight across the top, and down the other. How close you stitch depends on how much seam allowance you have, try to catch most of it so it won't roll in and show.

Twin needle I only tried once, and got a ridge like a pintuck, so I'm thinking the bobbin tension needed loosening. Actually, I was about to post the question myself, so hopefully someone else will be able to help both of us.

o

Thanks so much. This is extremely helpful.

o

Using a straight stretch-stitch helps with not having the fabric stretch while sewing, but it takes a while(two stitches forward, one back, lol).

Turtlelady explained making slits nicely.

I've never tried twin needles, but I've done two rows of stitching 1/4" apart on t-shirt hems(I only turn the edge up once), then trim close to the edge stitch. It seems to help keep the hem from rolling up after laundering. Is that what twin needle stitching is supposed to do? Been sewing a long time but mostly by the seat of my pants :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here