Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with sewing around corners

Posted by aliciavr6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 23:14

I'm making a bag, it has a top panel attached at both ends to a bottom panel, then I am to sew the 2 side panels onto this, I think of it as 3D sewing?? I'm a beginner obviously. The lining is constructed the same way, then gets dropped into the exterior. When sewing the lining with my machine, the fabric wrinkled, overlapped and just bunched up at the rounded corners, all 4! How do I prevent this so I get a nice rounded edge with no sewn in wrinkles? I have yet to sew the exterior because I know this will happen and have no idea how to do it correctly. :( Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with sewing around corners

Check your top tension. It might be too tight if the fabric is bunching. The stitching should meet in the middle of the fabric but not be so tight it pulls. Loosen the tension a tiny bit and sew on a scrap, then loosen again and test it out. If the thread loops on top or bottom then turn it back. Once you get the tension right it should sew better.

Sewing with a slippery fabric is challenging if you are a beginner. You might be better to hand baste with large stitches before you sew. Or pin it well every inch or so all around. Cotton makes a good lining too and is much easier to sew than lining material.

When you get to the corner go slow. Put your hands on the material--one hand flat and one on the edge and slowly turn your fabric as you sew. Or Take a couple of stitches then turn slightly, and take a couple more and continue until the corner is sewn. Again practice on fabric scraps until you get it right

o

And shorten your stitch length as you approach each corner, lengthening again after you've made each curve.

o

Hi - you did not say whether you clipped the 'straight' corners or not. When joining a straight piece to a curved or cornered piece, it best to staystitch a hair away from the seam line then clip the fabric so it can spread out to fit around the bends.

For corners you need only make 1 cut right into the point where the corner will be, for curves, you make a series of clips. Staystitching (a line of short length stitching slightly off the seam line & on the seam allowance) keeps the fabric from fraying past the stitching line when clipped.

IMPE, most pattern instructions include this information, but you didn't say that you're using 1.

HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here