Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicki_il

Need some advice...

Vicki_IL
11 years ago

I've recently been given a gift of a new Singer computerized sewing machine. I know - lucky, right? Now I've sewn some on a regular machine - not much, though, so the kids thought I'd enjoy using this one! It does all these stitches and has all the bells and whistles, but I'm scared to death of it! The Singer store here in town just sells them and works on them - no classes. I contacted Joann Fabrics and they charge $65 an hour for a class!! Uh, no, I'm sorry... I can't afford that! Anyone have any ideas where to start with this? I've got the instruction manual - been all through it. I love my kids to death for doing this. They apparently have more faith in me than I have! Thanks!

Comments (13)

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Why you lucky Duck, you!

Usually the store the machine was purchased in will give you plenty of basic information - like threading, needle changing, which foot to use on what, how to select stitches, etc. If your store doesn't, then my advice is to plunge right in with that manual!

Since you have some sewing experience and the manual for this one you should be able to go slowly and figure things out. Sew little things to get the feel of the machine. What kinds of things are you interested in sewing? I am a garment sewer, not much of a crafter, but many of the techniques are the same. Experiment with the designs. I must say that I sew a lot lot lot and don't often use most of the decorative stitches available on my machine, but I'm awfully glad I have them. I have a simple little computerized Singer that my kids gave me a year ago, after the motherboard on my wonderful computerized Singer with all the bells and whistles from 1978 failed after constant use.

As experienced as I am, it still took me a while to be comfortable with my new machine, and often I refer to the manual even now. Be patient, buy inexpensive fabric to play on while you are learning, and start having fun!

Feel free to email me via my member page with specific questions, and I'll try to help. I will check back here to see how you are doing. Good luck!

• Vicki_IL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, Sherrmann! I would love to do any type of sewing.... from the very basic to making clothes for my 6 and 8 year old granddaughters. I'm not sure if I could ever get to the point of doing that, though... My mother was an excellent seamstress, but never had the patience to teach me! Have to admit I wasn't a very interested student back then. She passed last year and left a foot locker full of material that I had no idea what I was going to do with. Now I know.... :) I really do appreciate your offer to help me. And I will be taking you up on that!
    Vicki

• Vicki_IL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, Sherrmann! I would love to do any type of sewing.... from the very basic to making clothes for my 6 and 8 year old granddaughters. I'm not sure if I could ever get to the point of doing that, though... My mother was an excellent seamstress, but never had the patience to teach me! Have to admit I wasn't a very interested student back then. She passed last year and left a foot locker full of material that I had no idea what I was going to do with. Now I know.... :) I really do appreciate your offer to help me. And I will be taking you up on that!
    Vicki

• susie53_gw
    11 years ago

I have 6 little grandaughters that I sew for. Start with a basic sundress pattern. I have one that just has a short bodice and ties on the shoulders. They love them.

I got a new sewing machine for Christmas and I love it. I have most everything figured out. Just follow the manual. The best thing I like on it is the automatic threader. It took some work to figure it out but I got it. Mine has a bar that you lower with a hook looking thing on it. I put the thread around the hook and then move the lever back and it brings a u shaped piece around the needle. The bottom of the u shaped piece curves down and makes it where you hook the thread that and then pull the lever forward. It draws the thread through the needle and it is threaded. Once I did it a couple times it became easy. I don't know if yours is this way but it probably is similar. Don't give up and don't be afraid to ask for help. We all have to learn new things from time to time. Just have fun..

Susie

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Like Susie, I sew for my gdtrs, gsons, sons and dtrs, too. She is right about kids' clothes..some of them are easy, and the kids love them!

I' m sorry your mom passed, but you can keep her memory alive a while longer by using some of her stash. My mom is in a nursing home now so I have her stash as well as my own. My gkids know and love my mom and are delighted to wear things I make with her fabrics.

Six and eight year old gdtrs will love dresses with twirly skirts, leggings, pajamas and nightgowns, and we old pros will have fun helping you learn. We have tips to make things easier, too!

Time to start playing!

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

have you looked at YouTube? there are lots of videos there and while I haven't looked, I bet there are sewing instruction ones too. Also, you might try sewing up some pillowcases or throw pillows, try out those decorative stitches on those....basically straight sewing. Just to get the feel of the machine.
    While I can't think of them, I am pretty sure there are web sites that offer "sewing classes". The link below offers a lot of sewing information....even on line classes.
    I hope I understand that you are looking for "sewing" information not just info about your machine....but that is probably available online too. Just do a google search
    Good luck and enjoy your new machine. You will be surprised how easy it is.
    Muphy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/bb/sewing101.htm

• Vicki_IL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You both have helped boost my confidence quite a bit... I think that the main thing I need to do is to not be such a "perfectionist", at first anyway, and just turn it on, grab that manual, and practice, practice, practice!!! And, Murphy, thanks for that link. I bookmarked it so I can refer back to it. Thanks so much, you guys, and I'll be sure and just ask you if/when I run into something that I just don't understand!
    Vicki :)

• Vicki_IL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susie, mine has the automatic threader like yours does. Where I always have a problem is when I load the bobbin. Never can get that thing in there right and when I do, the thread always seems to bunch up. I'm pretty sure that has to do with the tension. So, I'm hoping that since the settings on this one has already been done for me, that won't be such a problem. Also, this bobbin drops in from the top instead of in the front like my other machine. Maybe that will help also. The manual's descriptions and illustrations are very easy to read and understand. It's just doing it now... :)

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Vicki, are you still having trouble with the tension? When you say the trouble is loading it, do you mean when it is loading with thread from the spool, or when you are dropping it in the bobbin case? It should drop in easily, and should load automatically, almost efortlessly on your part.

Perhaps either your needle or the bobbin is inserted backwards, causing the bunching. Whatever you do, don't mess with the bobbin tension. It is factory set and should never need adjustment by you. Set the top tension on "auto" if you have it; if not, refer to the manual for a beginning setting.

• Vicki_IL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sherrmann, I haven't attempted this new machine yet. Had the granddaughters last week and thought it best to wait til I was alone - no distractions!:) But my trouble with other machines has always been getting the bobbin in right, especially if it loads on front and bringing up the bobbin thread by lowering the top needle down and bringing it back up. And, I have trouble with the bobbin thread bunching up when stitching. But, as you say, this new one should be better with the factory settings and the drop-in bobbin. So, I plan to start on this tomorrow since I have the kiddos again today. Wish me luck!

• jomuir
    11 years ago

youtube is a great suggestion. Have you checked the Singer website? They have a lot of good info on their machines, your model may have a more detailed manual or some tutorials online you can practice with.

Patternreview.com has a lot of very good reviews & info, if you go there & enter the model in their search engine you may find some info. Also, yahoo has some machine/model specific boards, you may be able to get some tips there. Good luck and congrats on your new machine!

Here is a link that might be useful: patternreview.com

• serger
    11 years ago

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/
    they have tutorials & video's
    also make sure to use a comfortable chair & have good lighting, it's also a good idea to get up & walk around
    ever once in a while, if you've been sewing for a while

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/

• blitzyblond_protege
    11 years ago

I have found that many companies have VCR/DVDs of how to operate a specific machine; great substitutes for area's with no classes or mail-order customers. These things are handy because you can replay a special instruction over & over. They are also great for learning to use any "special features".

Or check the company's web site to see if they provide helpful video lessons there.

or check on-line for groups in your area that may be attended by other owners; make "class" arrangements with them.

just some thoughts that might work for you. Good luck. l.marie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!