Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backstitching ends of bias tapes

Posted by hudakore (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 22:07

Is there a simple trick I can use when trying to backstitch the ends of folded bias tapes? I can sew forward and back but in coming forward again to finish sewing the strip, it gets all messed up as it tries to go back under the foot of the machine...it just gets all hung up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backstitching ends of bias tapes

I have a couple of suggestions for you. The first is when you go back, don't actually sew all the way back off the bias tape. Use the wheel instead of the foot control and make sure that last stitch stays on the fabric (you might have to lift the presser foot and move the fabric a bit to make that happen). Then go forward again. If that doesn't work, you might try using a "Jean-a-ma-jig" or "Hump Jumper". I have a Jean-a-ma-jig and it does come in handy. But you could make something simple yourself that will do just as well, which is what I often do because I keep misplacing that little piece of plastic. You can fold a couple of pieces of cardboard and place them on either side of the seam at the back of the presser foot and just under the ends. Then do your backstitch and then go forward. Every machine is different and yours just may not like sewing on air, in which case my first suggestion would be your best bet, or a combination of both suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jean-a-Ma-Jig

o

The feed dogs are causing the tape to hang up--why not slip a piece of paper or stabilizer underneath the tape end and then tear away? I think this might help.

o

I use small pieces of newsprint paper in cases like that. You can buy big pads of it in the art dept at hobby stores. It tears really easily.

Layer the fabric and then the tape/ribbon and then the paper on top. Paper makes everything easier! And I do almost all my sewing with my walking foot, that helps too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here