Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liddybuff

i need help!!

Liddybuff
9 years ago

I now have 9 sewing machines. Plus 2 that would run if I paid to have them repaired. Less than a week ago I bought a Husvarna Classica 90 which is a great little basic machine. Every time I am out shopping at my favorite places (thrift stores) I feel a magnetic pull towards any and all sewing machines I find in them. I can't stand the thought of leaving them there. There are some of course that I am not attracted to. The ones with obvious problems I could care less about. But those that need just a little clean up or a good oiling all want to come home with me. Today I saw a great old Singer 503 with a nice cabinet and the drawers were stuffed with all kinds of attachments and sewing supplies. The only thing that saved me was the fact that I luckily noticed that it had no power supply. Sometimes things like that can make a great deal go bad. I wonder if there is a cure for this ??? (hopefully not)

Comments (18)

• dancingirl_gw
    9 years ago

I hope a cure is never found! I'm addicted also, and I have machines running our clothes out of our closets. I just love them..we must share the same genes. Right now I have 7 set up for sewing ( including my 3 emb machines), and I would love to have all my machines displayed for using! I think I am one 'sick' lady!

• Liddybuff
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dancingirl, Then this addiction must be contagous. My husband keeps saying "What do you need with another one?" I have that question down pat now using this for the answer. "You know how you are about golf clubs? You know how you want one type of club for this, and another one for that? And when you go fishing you need this lure for this and another one for that? And when you go hunting...what the heck do you need with all that camo. POINT MADE. HAHA

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"Today I saw a great old Singer 503 with a nice cabinet and the drawers were stuffed with all kinds of attachments and sewing supplies. "

Buy it, sell the attachments on Etsy and use the money to fix up your others.

I buy and repair old machines - usually all they need is all the never-done maintenance - and either sell them or give them to people who need a basic machine.

• Liddybuff
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lazygardens, That's not a bad idea. The one thing I hesitate for is the shipping. It would cost a lot to ship. The other option is Craig's List but right now I see a lot of machines on there. Plus, I would be slightly afraid that I would be tempted to KEEP it.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

I saw this: And when you go hunting...what the heck do you need with all that camo.

Totally off topic, but since I was thinking about it--aren't hunters supposed to -not- wear camo? Aren't they supposed to wear orange, so they don't shoot one another?

I grew up in the nation's best pheasant-hunting territory, and I don't remember seeing hunters in camo. Lots of bright-orange hats and vests, though, and then just whatever other clothes they had.

• Liddybuff
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Talley Sue, Yes our hunters also are required to wear orange vests etc. They also go all out for all types of camo clothing. The camo is to keep the animals from seeing THEM. The orange is to let other hunters know NOT to shoot THE HUNTERS. I understand that deer are colorblind so they wouldn't see the orange anyway. My family hunts mostly deer. Maybe it's different when you hunt birds??

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

I have the same disease and I didn't know there were other machine hoarders out there. I feel SOOOO much better...

I've been buying old Kenmores... 1965-1980 or thereabouts.

I am compiling a file on my computer and have them labeled A-K, what they need, cleaned, oiled, possible problems and whether I have the buttonholer for them. I began because I could never get a good button hole until I bought my first one.

On a related subject, I am looking for the top piece to a 158-1440 if anyone's relatives might have one packed away in the closet! I need the bobbin winder and the two clips that hold the top in place. I will buy the whole machine, of course. (But I will still need the part, cause you can't have a great machine hanging around without it.)

FYI, Most machines (heads only) can be shipped to most places in the US for about $40.00. I just got a 1440 from a Dallas Salvation Army for $10 + $40 shipping to Florida. They didn't pack it well and the top parts were shattered. Hence my need...

• Liddybuff
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well first of all I have to amend my sewing machine count. I no longer have 9....I now have 11. I found a nice little Husqvarna made in about 1987-1990 and a Kenmore 14 about 1980 or so. They both are portable and do only straight , zig-zag and buttonholes. One of them had no power source or foot-pedal but I happened to have one that fit at home. I only paid $15.00 for each of them. They are so cute. They said they were happy to come home with me. hahaha

• qwkslver
    9 years ago

I have that disease. I have five setup for sewing right now, two more that are in hiding but ready to sew and two more in various stage of repair (when husband gets around to it). Could be worse.

• qwkslver
    9 years ago

Hunters wear different colored clothing dependent on what they are hunting. Some critters are more savvy than others.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Update: Just found a 158.12350 in great shape! Only needs oil and lube. All for 20.$$

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Somebody... please.... stop me!

Now the proud owner of a 17600. Found it through C'sL for $25.00. Dry as a bone but all in working order.

Takes cams and I have the full set already!

• Liddybuff
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't you just love it Thonotorose? Whenever I see machine parts in my thrift stores I always try to buy them up. I have extra boxes of cams and 1 or 2 extra buttonholers (especially if they are Singer) One thing I have learned is that many companies go out of business or merge or take on a new name. For instance, I know that Husqvarna is now owned by Singer. That may help some of you in your search for parts on older machines.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Did not know that. Thank you.

I learned on Singers and loved them until they were bought out and ruined. Sixty Minutes did a piece on it.

Got so mad, I've never even looked at them since.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Are you serious,singer now owns husqvarna??? Bummer,as i have a husqvarna,the viking Rose,mine was bought in 1997.Singer had gone down hill so bad,that i didn't think they made anything anymore,let alone buying out another company.
    Kathi

• Liddybuff
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kathi, I also have a Husqvarna 500 with I sewed to death. Believe me I got my money's worth. The repair would have cost way to much so I looked on Ebay. They had one exactly like mine so I tracked it for a while but it sold for a lot more than I was willing to pay. I was so disappointed. A few days later another one came up for bid and believe it or not I was the only bidder so I got it for a lot less than the repair on mine would have been. This machine looks and acts just like NEW!!! I was so happy. I think some people just THINK they want to sew and these machines just sit there. (Lucky for ME!) Husqvarna is known for it's quality machines. I have 2 and love them.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Just found a 40$ 158.19412. The deceased owner keep it in the original box and styrofoam packing. Beautiful! Includes several feet and the buttonholer, too. Bless her in her new life and may she be sewing angels garments.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Duplicate removed

This post was edited by thonotorose on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 20:37