Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

More hints needed.

barb_roselover_in
13 years ago

Boy there doesn't seem to be much going on in this forum in the summertime. Need another hint though to help me not have to rip off the top of this skirt. I made an ivory gabardine skirt. I thought the elastic was plenty tight so went ahead and put the elastic in and stitched it several places so that it would fit nicely (I thought). It is too big. The thoughts of ripping this clear out this late in the season is very displeasing to me especially since I have this separated shoulder and it pains me a lot. I did not make a casing for this, but applied the elastic by stitching to the skirt and then stitching and stretching to sew in place. Am I out of luck on this? If so, it's going to have to wait until next year,I think. Thanks to anybody who puts forth the effort to scold me for doing it this way. - Barb

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

No scolding necessary, We all make mistakes even those of us that have been sewing for years like you and me. Have you ever sewn with Lastin elastic? It is a clear plastic elastic. I think if you sewed a strip on the top and bottom of your elastic it would take in the extra without adding bulk.

• noinwi
    13 years ago

Have you laundered the skirt since you added the elastic? Sometimes the elastic will stay stretched until it is laundered, then it will shrink back into shape. I find this happens a lot when I pull elastic through casings.

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately, this time I did not make a casing and then insert the elastic. I sewed the elastic to the top of the skirt and then stretched it, forming the casing. I make a point of buying good elastic. I think for some reason the elastic stretched during the zigzagging process. Sometimes when you buy a skirt it has several rows of stitching which holds it closer to the body. It is ripping the zigzag stitches that is irritating me. Thanks for your help - Barb

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

If you haven't ripped it out yet.....do you have enough length at the hem and give at the waistline to just cut the elastic and fabric off the waist and re-do it? I did the same thing but my skirt was fuller and a bit long so losing a couple inches at the waist did not alter the fall of the skirt.
    Just a thought...
    Murphy

• sheesh
    13 years ago

If you have enough uncut fabric, you can cut off the elastic mess, cut a waistband casing and attach it to the skirt without losing anything in the length. Might even be worth buying more fabric if you can/have to.

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody for the help. I don't have enough material and have already sent it to the cleaners. Since I don't have anybody to pin my hems, I have just been trying them on and then turning up, but when they are straight, they look uneven because I have a bit of a tummy--just enough it doesn't hang just the way I like it. Outside of taking it off, which I am working it on, what is the solution. Any? Thanks Barb

• evaf555
    13 years ago

On the waistband, no idea.

On the hem: My mother taught me to measure from the floor up.

The hem may not look "right" on the hanger, but will look even on you. Since you're doing this yourself, you can allow the front to be a little longer. None of us is perfectly straight.

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

I find that elastic inserted in this manner normally stretches too much. Sometimes you can bring it back by putting it on your ironing board and holding the steam iron just above (but not touching) the waistband.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH