Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with ID-ing a sewing machine

Posted by calla_lilly96 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 05 at 19:34

Hi, I'm a new sewer I purchased my first sewing machine 4 years ago when I bought a house so I could make curtins I self tought and make lots of mistakes still but I'm really good with a seem ripper! Any way after the curtins it became pretty addictive making shirts, bed sheets, and my very first quilt (still working on that) anyway when my grandmother past away I inherited all her sewing things man was there some antique there I've keept it all and sience I've had her 1948 singer I love it I won't use a new one now!
Anyway enough background a friend who knew I liked the older machines found one at a yardsale seen that it was all metal so she picked it up for me but I don't know anything about it. It's a SUPER DELUXE ZIG ZAG model 5100 it's in a table with the presser foot mounted on the side there is no copie write in the manule or machine. Can anyone help with info on this machine?

thanks,
calla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with ID-ing a sewing machine

Can you post a picture of it?? You know the saying,"a picture is worth a thousand words",
Kathi

o

o.k.give me a day or two and I'll have a picture posted kathi

thanks
calla

o

sorry I don't have a picture posted when I try it says image to large, I'll keep trying though.

thanks,
calla

o

Calla - Tip the machine up and look underneath it, and all around it... backside, underneath any parts that are hidden when it is in the table...

SOMEWHERE on it you should find a plate that has the manufacturer's name, the name of the machine, the model number, the serial number, etc. Just keep looking until you find that plate... it will give you all the info we need to locate a manual for you.

o

O.K. there is a metal label on the side that says PRECISION BUILT MADE IN JAPAN and there is another metal label on the bottom that says SERIAL #7335, I have the manual for the machine and all it says on the front is SUPER DELUXE ZIG ZAG MODEL 5100 but the funny thing is nowhere in the manual is there a copyright or on the machine, there is no pages missing in the book either. I've tryed to look up zig zag and precision built on the internet and nothings come up though

thanks,
calla

o

This site has a discussion about Japanese sewing machines being clones of American machines and why they usually hid their place of manufacture and how they named the machines... it may help you.

Does your machine "look" like an old Singer? If so, this site has copies of old manuals. If yours isn't listed on this page, try browsing around the site. It has OODLES of old machines.

And here is a third option, just email the folks at this site and send them absolutely all the info you have, and if you can, send them a picture - as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

o

thanks so much red confetti

calla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here