Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewing_newbie

Shirt Hemming

sewing_newbie
16 years ago

Hi everyone! I apologize about this ahead of time, but I'm completely new to sewing. Everything I know, I read only about an hour ago (and I'm sure it's not extensive in any way).

I'm a short person, and a lot of the clothes I buy require additional alterations (sleeve length, inseam length, etc.) Instead of sending my things off to my local cleaners, I thought of the possibility of maybe doing it myself (with the right tools, of course). I have no problems with my cleaners, they do a wonderful job; I would just like to save money.

Out of all the things I need to learn, according to my research, it seems like doing a shirt tail hem may be the most time-consuming. My question is this: When hemming a shirt with a shirt tail, is it better to convert it to a straight bottom (with little side vents) and hem it that way? I know it may be a personal preference to certain people, but let's say that I do not care if it's a shirt tail or a straight bottom -- would it be easier to convert a shirt tail to a straight bottom with side vents, or is that on par with doing a shirt tail hem?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide to this newbie. Have a good one!

P.S. I'm sorry if I goofed on the terminology as well!

Comments (9)

• salena
    16 years ago

Oh, indeed easier to hem a straight bottom. When cutting off your excess fabric be sure to leave enough to turn under. You might not need the side vents, however. Measure a shirt you have and see! Go for it. Let us know.
    Salena

• bonnie-w
    16 years ago

I agree with salena's method of altering. But just remember that if you cut the tail off, you will not be able to tuck your shirt into your pants.

Bonnie

• sewing_newbie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for the advice! Much appreciated! And bonnie-w, I'm quite alright with not being able to tuck in my shirt. I wear them casually, and I don't think I've ever tucked them into my pants before.

Once I get a new shirt (and hopefully a sewing machine), I'll report back!

Thanks again!

Christine

• hotzcatz
    16 years ago

If you can find a set of the old attachments which came with some of the vintage sewing machines there were several different hemming attachments in the sets. I have a hemming attachment which can turn under a 1/8" rolled hem and sew it down in one procedure about as fast as fabric can be fed into the machine. There are different widths available from the really narrow 1/8" hem up to about an inch and a half hem. Saves tons of pinning!

One set of these attachments is from my Singer treadle sewing machine and the other more complete set is from my White Rotary Treadle so if you can't find these attachments at a sewing center, perhaps an antique store would have them, they are worth looking for. Occasionally they will show up at garage sales or rummage sales and many times folks don't know what they do so they will let you have the whole set for fifty cents or so.

• talker
    12 years ago

Hi guys. Does anyone know how to vent the side of a shirt?

• onefineseamstres
    12 years ago

IF YOU WANT TO DO A SHIRT TAIL HEM (SMALL NARROW ROLLED HEM) IT'S EASY TO HEM ON A CURVE. SIMPLY CUT THE SHIRT 1/2 INCH LONGER THAN YOU WANT THE FINISHED LENGTH TO BE. tHEN RUN THE EDGE THRU THE SURGER. THIS PUTS A NICE EDGE ON IT AND IT'S EASY TO SIMPLY ROLL/FOLD THE HEM IN PLACE AS YOU STITCH IT. YOU END UP WITH A NICE NEET 1/4 INCH HEM EVERY TIME

• JCJK
    10 years ago

I recently cut one of my husband's shirt-tail shirts into a straight-edge shirt with vents. The problem is that now the back is very blousy. Any suggestion as to how I can take up the back panel somehow and still look nice?

• beckyg56
    10 years ago

I would try adding darts to the back

• onefineseamstres
    10 years ago

YES..JCJK..you can add a dart on each side of the back... you can also take the side seams loose, up to maybe 1" of so from the arm pit... pull the back panel in just 1" at the bottom... and pin sides... so that only the back panel is coming in just a bit... angleing it upwards... This way you can take just a bit off each side of the back... then also put in a dart on each back side... will be the better option if it is very full back there...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths