Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plainjane425

Sewing Insulin Pump Bags

plainjane425
15 years ago

Hi I posted this on another site, but thought this might be a better place since it involves sewing. I am making Insulin Pump Bags, for my DGdaughter who is 6. She has type 1 diabetes and uses an insulin pump. I've checked on the prices for these little bags, along with the separate purchase of a belt, and they are out of site. So, I've been sewing some up for her. I was wondering if anyone else does the same, and maybe can exchange some info on where's a good site to purchase > appliques, elastic, center release buckels or parachute clips.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Comments (11)

• joansews4u
    15 years ago

I haven't made insulin bags but I have made bags for drainage pouches used following breast surgery. I made mine like a small apron that was a full pocket. I put extra fabric on the front side & pleated it at the bottom to fit the base. I ran elastic through the top of the pocket. I put ties like an apron but I fastened them with D-ring. I put on a short tie on one side. I also made them out of mesh for use in bathing. If you want to do that & can't find that fabric, you can find lingerie bags made from it in the dollar stores. I took them apart for the fabric.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for this tip joansews...as far as using lingerie fabric..this would be too flimsy. She's active, and the fabric needs to be well padded, yet small enough not to be too bulky. I've been doubling up the fabric and sometimes even using a liner to make it a little more padded. I'm really looking for a good source for center release buckles for her elastic belts. I use elastic and then cover it with matching fabric as the bag. To clip the belt together, I've been using these center clip buckles or 'quick release' buckles..but they are expensive, and I've only seen them in black or white.

• clt3
    15 years ago

There are 2 places that I would highly recommend for the buckles. www.strapworks.com and www.cdwplus.com. The second place has prices that include the shipping. Always a plus for me.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

clt3 thanks for the info... I will look them up asap!
    The one with the shipping included sounds good to me too.

• joansews4u
    15 years ago

Ididn't say use lingerie fabric to make the bag. I said use a lingerie mesh laundry bag for fabric for one to use while bathing.

I have only seen the fastners in black & white also. To get a better price, hit Joann's or Hancock's sales when they have 40% or 50% off the notions wall. You can get on their mailing lists & if there are none close to you, they have internet sales of the same things.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

joansew...lol...so sorry for the misunderstanding!
    I've tried the Joann's by me..but everytime I go, whether it's a sale or not...they NEVER restock their items..and it's very frustrating... So, I think I'll have to use the sorces on line, and try to go with the best prices w/or w/o
    shipping fees.. thanks again.

• jenni_ca
    15 years ago

The buckles are available in other colors. This site has them. Not a big choice but some other than black and white.

Here is a link that might be useful: colored buckles

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jenni...how sweet are you!! I've only been finding black & white... Thanks for the site.

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

Hi Joansews,glad to see you back here again.Unfortunately i have joined the BC club,not that it is anything i wanted to join,it is kinda mandatory if you know what i mean.

Hopefully i'll get my drains out tomorrow.
    Send me an email if you get a chance or feel like it.A lot has happened since i last talked to you or Susan.

Hope you're doing well now.
    Hugs
    Kathi

• heinzabeans
    12 years ago

found insulin pump bags at totemholsters, thanks

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

A good place to get belt clips and center-release buckles is at a thrift store.

Buy an old backpack with lots of buckles for a couple of dollars.