Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynay_gw

pattern for pillowcase dresses

jaynay
18 years ago

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE EMAIL ME THE PATTERN FOR THE PILLOWCASE DRESSES OR PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHERE TO GET ONE I HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT HAS A BIRTHDAY SOON AND WOULD LOVE FOR HER TO WEAR ONE FOR HER PARTY

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS

JENE' SMITH

Comments (78)

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

I'm asking you to email me because I don't check this forum daily, but I do check email daily.

For those of you who want the directions and armhole template please send me an email through the garden web. I can send an attachment through their email system.
    Susan

• bleweyes_00_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Hi, I am very very new to this site. As a matter of fact I signed up today. This website is a free site correct? Just want to make sure. I am interested in using an old pillow case from my husbands Great grand mother and making a pillow case dress. I am new to sewing also. If the patterns are free, Can someone please email me the pillow case dress pattern and any templates I may need and directions. Please use PILLOW CASE as the subject line in the email. my email address is bleweyes_00@yahoo.com.
    Thanking you in advance. Look foward to hearing from you.

• ladylaine
    15 years ago

WOW what a great site! I was just wondering if you could use pillowcases for babies? If not then what do you suggest. And could I have the pattern as well. Thanks!

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

I'm asking you to email me because I don't check this forum daily, but I do check email daily.
    For those of you who want the directions and armhole template please send me an email through the garden web. I can't send an attachment through their email system.
    Susan

• blessedndeed_comcast_net
    15 years ago

I NEED HELP!!!! I need the pattern or template for the armholes. I tried using one... but it came out too small!!! I need help ... please if anyone can let me know. blessedndeed@comcast.net is my email address ... thank you thank you thank you!!!!!
    Krista

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

Instructions emailed to Krista.

Please PM me if you need the instructions. I do not check this forum daily.
    Susan

• mimi_s
    15 years ago

I am new to this site and would also like the pattern/arm hole templates for the pillow case dress. I am not sure how to PM yet. Please let me know what else I need to do to receive the info. Thanks so much. Sandra

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

For those of you who want the directions and armhole template please send me an email through the garden web. I can't send an attachment through their email system.

You click where it says MY PAGE and it will allow you to send an email to the person who wrote the post.
    Susan

• mimi_s
    15 years ago

Thank you for the pillow case dress pattern. I have started to make one and have had trouble getting the bias to lay smoohtly when sewn. Actually the bias is smooth inside the arm hole, but i have a rippling effect on the outside of the dress at the armhole. I have tried stretching the bias just a bit and also tried again, not stretching it all. The second attempt (not stretching) is definitely better, but I do not care for the way it looks. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong or how to correct this. I have neve worked with bias before. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

I emailed Mimi this response, but I thought it might be helpful to someone else.

It sounds like you didn't clip your seam in the curve of the armhole. Most anything that you sew with a curve you have to clip your seam allowance towards your stitch line so the fabric will give. For example if you're doing an aline dress you have to clip the curve, a sleeve on a shirt, etc.. You might can do a google search on bias tape application that would be helpful. It would show pictures, probably. If these directions don't make sense take your dress and bias tape to a fabric store and ask them to show you how to apply.

1. What I do is lay the single fold bias tape right side to the fabric right side.
    2. You have a stitching "guide" in the mark where the edge was folded in. Sew that to the armhole. Clip through the dress fabric and the bias tape from the edge to the stitch line. Be careful not to cut your stitches. Do this every 1/2 inch or so all the way around the armhole.
    3. Turn the dress so that you have the right side of the fabric facing you on the left and the bias tape is to the right. Sew very close to the left edge of the bias tape. This will make those clipped edges "lay down" on the underside.
    4. Turn the dress so the right side of the fabric is face down. Turn the bias tape to the inside of the dress. You will sew on the left hand side of the bias tape. This will complete the armhole and it shouldn't have puckers on the right side of the dress.
    Hope this helps,
    Susan

• lrlanham
    15 years ago

Do you use a standard size pillowcase even for a 18 month old or is it too full?

Leah

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

A standard pillowcase is only 38-40 inches wide. Yes, I use the full pillowcase. YOu can't use a true pillowcase on a child much older than 3 because of the narrow case.
    Susan

• rebeccahuey_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I feel silly asking this because it looks like everyone is experienced at sewing and I am not. How he heck do I get this bias tape on? Are you supposed to see it/not see it in the finished product? Do I unfold it? I need some pretty specific instructions (Is there a picture somewhere) because I am lost:( PLEASE HELP:)

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

I think you can do a google search and find instructions on the bias tape. Some people prefer it so that it is seen, but I think it looks "cleaner" on the inside of the armhole.
    Susan

• heather092800
    15 years ago

Ok....I hope this isnt a stupid question, but do you really use pillowcases for the dresses or do you just use fabric? Id like to make one for Thanksgiving for my little girl with turkeys on it, but Im not sure where to get started. Ive already emailed asking for a pattern, but Im just trying to get started. Thanks sooo much!!

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

For a small child you can use a pillowcase, but in the long run it is cheaper to use fabric.
    Susan

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

Because I haven't gotten multiple emails lately about the pantaloons pattern I am reposting the directions on how I used a basic pants pattern (simplicity or mccalls) and converted.
    Susan

About the pants. They are made from a basic pants pattern. The frog pants were cut shorter to allow 3 inches for the ruffle. I use an old singer machine with a ruffle attachement to do them.
    The firetruck ones are pantaloons. Again, basic pants pattern. I sew the 2 fronts together and the 2 backs together. The I sew the side seam on both sides. This leaves the inseam (crotch) open. This is right the oppisite of the way the pattern directions tell you. Then I turn under about 1/4 th inch and hem. Next I use a hem gage to place pins 2 inches from my hemed edge on the inside (wrongside of fabric). I put the machine on zig zag and I use a narrow piece of elastic. I start with the elastic flat and I stitch a few stitches and back stitch. After I've sewn 1/2 inch or so I pull the elastic real taugt and hold it as close to my pins as possible. I use the zig zag to attach the elastic because this gives it a little "give". After you sew both legs with the elastic you sew your crotch( inseam) and you're done. (I use this same principal doing the ruffle pants.) Usually I use a little bow on the side seam to dress it up.

• valannb22
    15 years ago

I have a question about the pattern. How do I know how wide to make the dress? I saw somewhere to use an actual pillowcase as a pattern. I think that will work fine for my 6-year-old, but I wil be having another daughter in May and I would like to make some in baby sizes too. I think the pillowcase would be way too huge on her.

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

I use 45 inch width fabric which isn't always 45 anymore up to a chest measurement of 26. Larger than 26 I go up to 54 inches of width.

A pillow case is only 40 inches wide, so I don't think it would work for the 6 yr old, unless she's really thin. Most people who are using an actual pillowcase are making the dresses in 12 months to 3t size.
    Susan

• valannb22
    15 years ago

Yeah, she's extremely thin. About 37 pounds.

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

Because I have received multiple emails lately about the pantaloons pattern I am reposting the directions on how I used a basic pants pattern (simplicity or mccalls) and converted. I do not have a pantaloon pattern to share.
    Susan color = red>

About the pants. They are made from a basic pants pattern. The frog pants were cut shorter to allow 3 inches for the ruffle. I use an old singer machine with a ruffle attachement to do them.
    The firetruck ones are pantaloons. Again, basic pants pattern. I sew the 2 fronts together and the 2 backs together. The I sew the side seam on both sides. This leaves the inseam (crotch) open. This is right the oppisite of the way the pattern directions tell you. Then I turn under about 1/4 th inch and hem. Next I use a hem gage to place pins 2 inches from my hemed edge on the inside (wrongside of fabric). I put the machine on zig zag and I use a narrow piece of elastic. I start with the elastic flat and I stitch a few stitches and back stitch. After I've sewn 1/2 inch or so I pull the elastic real taugt and hold it as close to my pins as possible. I use the zig zag to attach the elastic because this gives it a little "give". After you sew both legs with the elastic you sew your crotch( inseam) and you're done. (I use this same principal doing the ruffle pants.) Usually I use a little bow on the side seam to dress it up.

• siennasmom1
    15 years ago

I am so anxious to make a pillowcase dress for my daughter! Could someone email me the pattern that can be used for a child 12 mos.- 2T. Thank you so much!

brittany_anne_Smith@yahoo.com

• phangel95
    15 years ago

I need measurements for the different sizes on the pillowcases dresses such as for 6 months , 12 months, 18months and size 2. I am so anxious to sew for my granddaughter and her friends. Thanks

• loganhogan
    15 years ago

I make them custom per child. Each parent has their own idea of how long them want them, i.e knee length, mid shin or ankle.
    Susan

• nlm892
    15 years ago

I need measurements for the different sizes on the pillowcases dresses such as for 6 months , 12 months, 18months ,24 months and 2T. I am so anxious to start sewing these dresses fo my kids. THANK YOU

• newsewer-2009
    15 years ago

i need help with sizes for the dresss what size for the differant ages and how mach fabric i need someone please help

• loganhogan
    14 years ago

I make them custom per child. Each parent has their own idea of how long them want them, i.e knee length, mid shin or ankle.
    If you are making a dress 25 inches long you'll need 28 inches of fabric, you need 3 inches more than the finished length you're trying to achieve. If you are doing the dresses for a craft show make them ranging from 20 inches to 28 and you're going to cover about 18 months up to a slim size 7. Have a tape measure with you and measure the child on the spot if there is a question about fit.
    Susan

• baumanns_charter_net
    14 years ago

Does anybody have a pattern for one of these for women's sizes? Of course not necessarily for a dress. It would be more like a top. Thanks.

• lorac727
    14 years ago

(Lorac727@sbcglobal.net)
    I'm looking for a pattern for a pillowcase dress. I hope someone can help me. Thank you.

• rwdortch
    14 years ago

I am looking for a pillowcase tunic/shirt pattern or template in women's sizes. I have made many pillowcase dresses for my children but am having trouble with the fit for an adult. Can anyone help? Thank you.

• loganhogan
    14 years ago

Just a reminder if you send a request to me for the pillowcase dress I can't send you a pattern for the pants.

Because I have received multiple emails lately about the pantaloons pattern I am reposting the directions on how I used a basic pants pattern (simplicity or mccalls) and converted. I do not have a pantaloon pattern to share.color =red>

Susan

• taragates
    13 years ago

Can somebody please send me a pattern for a pillowcase dress. I really want to start making my own, instead of buying them. She wears a 12month-18month. Thanks..I really appreciate it!

Tara

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Can't believe this post has been ressurected once again.

If you google pillowcase dresses,you'll get all kinds of links and sizes that you can then download.HTH
    Kathi

• haleesammaw_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

Size 3T pattern please

• michellewiles22_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Could you give me the arm hole measurements for all size.For the pillowcase dresses.Thanks so much for your time.

• pjbreaseale_charter_net
    13 years ago

I need a pattern or instructions for pillowcase dresses for an adult or older child. I will be making sizes 10 and 16. They were a special request for Easter dresses this year. If anyone has any, please email them to me. I would appreciate it!

• FayeBeasInTx_att_net
    13 years ago

Would someone please email me the pillowcase dress pattern. My grand daughter's third birthday is soon. Also is their a panties or shorts pattern to match the dress? Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: That Home Site!

• michellewiles22_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Could you email me all the armhole sizes for all ages.Thank you so much.

• patrika_live_com
    13 years ago

Would someone please email me the pillowcase dress pattern.I want to make one for my 3 month old grand daughter.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

Simplicity Pillow Dress Pattern- see link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplicity pillow dress pattern

• debbibritton_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

could this fit a 18 month old

• obrienjkcmo_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I wouls love to have the pattern for this pillow case dress. I have a 3T and a size 7.

• kmbeale_msn_com
    13 years ago

Hello, I am looking for pillowcase dress patterns & I was told that I could find them here. Thanks so much for the help!!!
    KB

• Mandyrose
    13 years ago

I have been making these little dresses from regular 45" cotton fabric. There are several ways to accomplish the task and IMO is a matter of preference. All you need to do is google "pillow Case Dress" and you should be directed to several different sites/videos. I prefer elastic through the neck area just in case. If the tie is tied tightly it could present a hazard...not that many items of childrens clothing could not present a hazard on a very active child. Here is one site to check out in the meantime, but I urge you to have a look at a few methods (tutorials) before you start to sew. Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: 402 Center Street Designs

• treescano1_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Can someone please email me the armhole templates for the p/c dress?

• Mandyrose
    12 years ago

Tammy, here is a link to p.c. dress armhole template.

Here is a link that might be useful: nancys notions

• Susieq53
    12 years ago

I need a pattern for the pillowcase dress in a 12 months

• mdsapp_cox_net
    12 years ago

Can someone please email me the armhole templates for the p/c dress?
    thanks

• nicholsfam1_charter_net
    12 years ago

Can you make these for a childs size 12 is there a way to still use the vintage pillowcase possibly for the front? Please send the pattern thanks so much.

• pricecj80_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Could you please send me the pattern for the pillow case dress. I have a 2 and 4 yr old i will make the dresses for. Thanks so much.