Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stitcheasy2003

Fitted tablecloth

stitcheasy2003
16 years ago

Hello

Has anyone ever made a :

Fitted Tablecloth that is fully elasticized to stay put on your table...no overhang or corners getting caught and for a ROUND table.

A fitted table cloth with elastic all around the edge of the fabric.

Any suggestions please, thank you

Comments (5)

• spudmom_gw
    16 years ago

I did this several years ago for my mother in law. She wanted the cover to play cards on, she bought a washable wool, we washed it first for shrinkage.

I just measured the diameter, added for how much she wanted it to wrap to the underside, and then added for a casing. All that said, it was a little too tight, so add some ease to the measurements.

It sure worked well for what she wanted it for. And looked nice too, and protected the top, she left it on almost all the time.

I think I might make one for our table, when I have nothing else to do. Ha ha ha

Lynne

• stitcheasy2003
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi
    What do you mean by a casing? I am thinking of a Band of fabric two inches wide to sew on to insert the elastic!!!
    What did you do? Used? thank you

• eunice
    16 years ago

I have made a lot of these. Usually flannel-backed plastic table cloths for different seasons (from the dollar store).

Cut a circle about 5 inches larger than your table. Make a casting with bias tape and run narrow elastic through. Try it on the table and adust elastic to fit. Sew ends of elastic securely together.

I hope this is clear. I love changing them for different looks in the kitchen.

Eunice

• donnar57
    16 years ago

Eunice seems to do them the same way I do them. You can find the flannel-backed vinyl tablecloths at the dollar store, Big Lots, WalMart, and Target pretty easily. We have several for the round back porch "umbrella" table (that has no umbrella!). But you can do a hole for an umbrella if you have them. My DH loves them because they seem to be easier to wipe off than the glass top, and they get Soooooo dirty outdoors! You can also wash them in the laundry if you remember not to put them in the dryer!

DonnaR/CA

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

I made some to use when the grandkids came over (when they were younger).

I cut a circle larger than the diameter (added for the thickness of the tabletop and a couple of inches for underneath. Then I serged the edges. I measured the circumference and cut the elastic 3/4 of the circumference. Then I stitched the elastic directly to the tablecloth where I wanted it using the three step zigzag stitch. I have a special foot that stretched the elastic for me which made it very fast and easy.

My DIL liked it so much that she made several and uses them all the time.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH