Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
altering fitted sheets

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 15:25

I have two sets of sheets that I love *but* the bottom sheet of each set is huge. My mattress is 12" deep. It is a standard king-size bed.

If I put the "dart"(that is what I'm calling the corner stitching, for lack of a better term) on the upper right corner and pull the sheet taut, the dart on the lower right corner is about 6" off the bed. NOTE that is not pulling diagonally but straight down one side. Same holds true from side to side.

I like/prefer/need to sleep on a sheet that is flat and unwrinkled. I can tuck all the extra under the mattress, but it doesn't stay long, and it really doesn't fit since only one "dart" will be in the proper place.

Does anyone know of a way to alter the sheet so that it will fit properly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: altering fitted sheets

Do just what you're doing now, but turn the sheet inside out and pin the new corner seams to fit, like making a slipcover. Mark the new sheet edge (where you'll need to move the elastic to) and remember in both cases to leave a little extra so you can get it on and finish any newly cut edges. If there's no elastic on that edge, forget about it. You can forget it on the corners, too, if you remember to make the bed starting on that side.

I'd first sew just the height of the mattress, put it back on, and see about how much you want to go in underneath. If you slide the mattress over so it's free of the box spring, it would be pretty easy to just continue pinning from your new sewn corner.

o
RE: altering fitted sheets

Thanks, tl. I'll give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here