Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsawi52695

problems with a husquvarna viking model 980 sewing machine

dsawi52695
16 years ago

Hi Everyone:

I have a Husquvarna Viking Model 980 Sewing Machine. Here is the problem, I was rearranging my sewing room. I moved my sewing machine from one table to another. The sewing machine worked fine before it was moved. Now when I try to turn it on, it will not come on. All of the connections and plugs are tight. I looked in the manual, but, it was no help.

Has anyone ever had this kind of problem before? Do you know what might be causing this to happen? More importantly, does anyone know how to correct the problem?

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

Catherine

Comments (7)

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Are you sure your wal outlet has power?

• dsawi52695
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, the wall outlet does have power.

Thank you,

Catherine

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Try using an extension cord from another socket.Sounds like a power thing to me.
    Kathi

• dsawi52695
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone:

CORRECTION PLEASE READ !!!

We have a Husquvarna Model 980 Sewing Machine. Here is the problem, I was rearranging my sewing room. I moved my sewing machine from one table to another. The sewing machine worked fine before it was moved. Now when I try to turn it on, it will come on, stay on for a second and goes right back off. I have two lights and they come on so I know that they work also. All of the connections and plugs are tight. The outlet that the machine is plugged into works. So, we know that is not the problem. I looked in the manual, but, it was no help.

Has anyone ever had this kind of problem before? Do you know what might be causing this to happen? More importantly, does anyone know how to correct the problem?

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

Catherine

• gramcraft
    16 years ago

Sounds like a short in your cord, to me. Many yrs. ago, the cord for my Elna was loose and sort of wobbly. I took the screw off one side of the plug and saw a loose wire , reconnected it and it has been working fine for the last 40yrs. If you have a molded plug that cannot be opened, I would take the cord alone to a sewing machine shop and have it tested first. If it isn't that, then you might have a short inside your machine.

• jybentneedle_aol_com
    13 years ago

Need motor for 980 Viking machine. I took it apart. How many volts on this motor? Do you have replacemrnt and the price?

• bjohnston2001
    8 years ago

I hope you haven't thrown away your machine. It's a problem with the prongs at the side of the machine. These prongs are part of a transformer and are only held into a computer type board of the transformer by a couple of spots of solder to keep them in place. Mine would turn itself off and on if I barely touched the cord. It's a crummy set-up. I would like to think that HV would have put beefier prongs in place.in the newer machines. The Designer 1 and other machines that carry the a 1 in the name on the faceplate of the machine had a recall on them in 1997 or 1998 because some of these prongs were actually becoming detached from the board and were stuck in the end of the cord creating an electrical hazard. There is a shop in upstate NY that does repair this A1Sewingmachine.com (owned and operated by Ron Anderson) and takes mail-order repairs.

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA